should I change - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default should I change

I;ve had my pup for exactly 1 yr.. so he's 1 yr and 4 months old now. I started on blue buffalo LBP but his stool was always soft.. I switched to wellness lbp and things got better. then the poop got soft again so I switched to blue buff basic salmon and potato and all is ok. About 1 month ago, I finally realized that the bully sticks ( from best bully) were causing the soft poop. Now that they are stopped, all is fine. Should I consider switching to a better food than blue buff basic? or at this age. just stick with it.?
luke4275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I am not a big fan of Blue, just to many recalls. But it is a decent dog food. If you want to upgrade to a better dog food try one of these. The first list is super good dog food and the second is very good dog food. Of course Orijen is the best you can get.

Orijen, Acana, Horizon Legacy, Fromm, Merrick, Go Endurance, Precise Holistic, Wellness Core, Castor and Pollux Natural, Eathborn Holistic, Evo, Go Fit and Free, Instinct, Pinnacle Peak, Solid Gold, Canidea, Darford Zero/G, Now Grain Free

Pulsar, Blue Wilderness, Artemis, First Mate. Natures Logic, Nutrisourse, Exclusive, Pure Vita, Wellness, Earthborn, Annamaet, Organix, Whole Earth Farms, Premium Edge, By Nature grain free, Victor, TOTW
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

i switch my dogs kibble a lot and i keep
a variety of can on hand. i also add fresh
meat, chicken, organic yogurt, pears, apple,
blueberries, human grade salmon oil, various greens,
to his kibble.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have stayed away from Diamond brands after all the recalls, but I think other than those issues it's not a bad food.

You will get different opinions as to changing the food.

I was told not to, especially if you have a dog with a sensitive tummy. Generally speaking, they recommend doing gradual food changes, because changing too fast can upset their tummies, so I think it's better to stick to one kind. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Changing a lot can also create a fussy eater in some situations.

He's fine to be on adult food at this point. My pup was put on an ALS adult food at about 4 months of age, because I couldn't find a LBP food that didn't upset her tummy.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not that I feed it but, I didn't know Blue Buffalo had had any recalls. That surprises me.
K9Drover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You might try a probiotic no matter what food you choose. I give Stosh a probiotic gel in his food and it's done wonders for his appetite, weight maintenance and he has picture perfect poops. I've tried Nature's Variety Instinct, Orijen, Victor but what he loves the most is Taste of the Wild. He'll eat it and he's doing well on it.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ToesTonyismydog View Post
I am not a big fan of Blue, just to many recalls. But it is a decent dog food. If you want to upgrade to a better dog food try one of these. The first list is super good dog food and the second is very good dog food. Of course Orijen is the best you can get.

Orijen, Acana, Horizon Legacy, Fromm, Merrick, Go Endurance, Precise Holistic, Wellness Core, Castor and Pollux Natural, Eathborn Holistic, Evo, Go Fit and Free, Instinct, Pinnacle Peak, Solid Gold, Canidea, Darford Zero/G, Now Grain Free

Pulsar, Blue Wilderness, Artemis, First Mate. Natures Logic, Nutrisourse, Exclusive, Pure Vita, Wellness, Earthborn, Annamaet, Organix, Whole Earth Farms, Premium Edge, By Nature grain free, Victor, TOTW
I noticed Innova isn't on your list, but it's rated right up there with most of the foods you've listed. It may not be as popular, but it is a top food. Petsmart does their isles by food rating, and Innova is right there with Wellness, Blue, Evo, and every food you've listed that they carry. Excellent food without the high protein and 'richness' that Blue and TOTW seem to have that causes tummy troubles. It also already has probiotics in it, so no need to add that which I find helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.