Diarrhea that keeps coming back! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Diarrhea that keeps coming back!

My puppy Jade (5 mo.) has been having all kinds of problems with diarrhea.

When we got her the breeder had been feeding her a raw diet, we transitioned her over to the Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy (Chicken and Brown Rice). She has been fully on that for almost 2 mo with no problems. Her stool was well formed and she was eating like a champ. Then she suddenly started to have diarrhea. And it wasn't just soft stool, it was liquid. I was concerned that it might be parasites so we took her to vet, they did a stool sample (which came back negative) and they started her on Metronidazole. She was back to normal within a day. She was on the Metronidazole for a week, and a few days after it stopped the diarrhea started again. Took her back to the vet who recommend that we go with another round of Metronidazole(two weeks this time) in case it didn't have enough it to knock out whatever was hanging around. We finished that on Saturday evening and on Monday the diarrhea was back with a vengeance. It was pretty much all liquid. She actually threw up Monday night, twice, which was new (she has never thrown up before) so i took her back to the vet. Today she is in there to have a diarrhea panel done (to see if something is hiding out that the normal stool test didn't catch), and they are also doing an ultrasound/x-ray of her abdomen to make sure that everything looks okay.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have heard from some people that the blue buffalo can be too rich for little puppies but she was fine for 2 mo with little problems. Plus if it was the food why would the Metronidazole appear to fix it? I am just a mommy that is looking for a way to help my baby. Yesterday when i got home she didn't even care, went straight outside to go potty and throw up. That is very unlike her, she is normally overjoyed when we get home and I'm just really worried.
Abby142 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Was she OK on the raw diet? If so I would go back on that and ask the breeder for help.
Often when my dogs have liquid diarrhea I can fix it by feeding them raw green tripe. But you may have to start with small amounts several times a day to make the transistion easier.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This sometimes happens to our dog after it rains. I live in CA, and we have long dry spells then it seems like the rain picks up all sorts of nasty stuff and our dog gets diarrhea. Very often the stool sample comes back negative.

It could be so many things - an allergy, GI inflammation. Would you consider a raw diet?

We do the easy, but probably more expensive raw diet. Either use a prepared raw like Nature's Variety or dehydrated raw like The Honest Kitchen.

Are you doing the basic rice/boiled chicken now? In bad cases like yours, our dog has done well on a temporary low residue diet, canned food that the vet sells. Often with the antibiotics, our vet will give probiotics, have you tried those?

How you get to the bottom of this soon. It must be hard for you to see your pup so sick.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

she did okay on the raw, but i am not the biggest fan of the raw thing. It works great for some people, its just not really for us. Ever since we have been on the BB food she has been so much more energetic, her coat is gorgeous and the shedding actually got better. But if it will stop the diarrhea we probably will have to do the raw again.

We did the boiled chicken and rice the last time she had the diarrhea, and will probably go back to it when i pick her up this evening. She wasn't very fond of it. Kinda looked at it for a while before realizing that was all she was getting.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Has she been tested for giardia? What about a fecal? Any worms?

If you can find nothing that is causing the poo, try a 6 week course of Tylan.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I second what jaggirl47 says about a 6 week course of Tylan if all other testing is coming back normal and not showing any issues.

Our GSD is almost 9 months old now and we battled chronic Diarrhea issues with him from almost the beginning. I can’t tell you how many fecal tests we ran (he did have roundworm and tapeworm at one point early on, so we did several fecal tests to confirm they were gone). We tried switching his diet … we did the Limited Ingredient foods several times trying a different protein each time, we tried grain free, we tried home cooked and he was getting fed a gastrointestinal canned food from the vet for several months because that is what he did the best on.

After another bad round of diarrhea in August I had his TLi, Folate and B12 tested to see if he possibly had EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency). His TLi and B12 came back good but his Folate was a little elevated. We thought this might suggest a case of SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) and he was started on Tylan in the end of August. Within 24 hours we saw an improvement and with 3 days the diarrhea was gone. Currently we are in the process of slowly taking him off the Tylan. He’s getting 0.3 cc twice a day this week and next week he’ll get 0.3 cc once a day and then we are going to see how he does off the Tylan.

I would suggest reading up on SIBO or Tylan Responsive Diarrhea on http://www.epi4dogs.com – I can’t get to the page right now, but if you browse to the SIBO page, you’ll get all the info you need in regards to this. In general, the people on the forum on this site were very supportive and a great help in figuring out what was wrong with my Jake.

Good luck finding a resolution. Been there, done that and learned far more than I ever cared to know about dog digestive issues in the process.
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

When my dog was a puppy, she seemed to always have diarrhea. I had her checked out for everything and everything came back normal. I was feeding her the BB chicken and rice formula for a puppy. After talking with the woman who ran the doggie day care about my dogs diarrhea problem she suggested I switch the dog food to a salmon based food instead of a chicken based diet. Amazingly enough, after putting her on a bland diet of cooked ground beef and rice, and switching to a salmon based kibble, it got rid of my dogs diarrhea and she hasn't had any problems since. I guess my dog can't tolerate chicken.

But definitely make sure you have ruled out any health issues before you start switching foods. And I hope you are able to resolve it soon. I know how frustrating it can be (my dog was 10 months when I finally got rid of the diarrhea).
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all your help guys! All the test have come back negative and every looks okay. We went ahead and put her i/d food in an attempt to settle things outs. It has worked like a charm! We are back to almost completely solid and the vomiting has stopped. I guess it was the food all along. Wish we would have tried that before we spent all this money, but at least she is healthy and we ruled out any major health issues.

My question now is what do you all recommend for food (since we don't want to keep her on i/d diet for too long)? I think I want to avoid chicken and we want something that is good for her, but not a rich as the BB. Any suggestions?

Again thank you all so much for your help and support! this first time mommy really appreciates it!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Personally, I love Orijen 6 fish.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

This happened to my first dog. On and off for two months. Every time we did the med(same one your doing) it would clear up but as soon as we would stop it would come right back. It was Awful. I did my own research and had a strong feeling it was giardia (it's VERY hard to catch with a stool sample) I did panacur and it cleared it right up and never came back.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.