How many cups should you feed your german shepherd puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How many cups should you feed your german shepherd puppy?

He just turned 4 moths and we feed him 3 times a day and feed him 2 cups for breakfast a cup for lunch and 2 cups for dinner! I don't think it's enough because he's always hungry. I can't seem to find a good website that says how many cups to fee them.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
BethaniiMarcinko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

from 9 weeks old untill he was 9 months old i
fed my pup 3 cups a day. 1 cup in the am, 1 cup
nooish and 1 cup in the pm. he a snack throughout
the day. at 9 months (i think it was 9 months old)
i went to 2 cups a day (1 cup in the am and 1 cup
in the pm) and snacks throughout the day.

you're feeding 5 cups a day and you think your
pup is hungry. i think most of them will eat as much
as you feed them. what are you feeding (brand) your pup?
use the information you find on feeding as a guideline.
the amount to feed could be different for each dog.

how old is your pup? how much does your pup weigh?
male or female?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Seven is 6 mos and around 45-50 pounds. She gets one cup 3 time a day. She's been getting the same amount for 2-3 months now.

Our vet didn't want us to feed more than that so she doesn't get too heavy. There was one crazy week when everyone in the house was sick and I could never remember if I fed the dog. She probably ended up with an extra cup at least 3 days that week and I could really see a difference in her size.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

He is 4 months and weighs 38 pounds and the pup is a male! We feed him 4 Heath salmon & potato

BethaniiMarcinko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

It's really going to come down to your dogs metabolism, activity level and how many calories are in the cup more than anything.

Gretchen gets 4 cups a day, 2 in the morning and 2 at night. If we have a lazy day where we both sleep for most of the day then she'll get a little less or if we have an active day I'll either give her an extra snack of a large biscuit to add some calories or a little extra kibble. It evens it's self out pretty well on keeping her fit. An average day she runs 1-2 miles (At her pace, I don't run her on leash this young), plays with our other large dog Maggie for a while or has play dates with friends dogs/goes to the dog park, we go for walks (anywhere from 30min-1.5 hours), she plays on her flirt and/or spring pole, we do small bits of obedience training including things like long distance recalls (maybe 10-20min 3-4x/week) and during the warmer months she likes to play with the water hose or go swimming in the pond. :P So she's fairly active I would say.

With that said, she's almost 6.5 months old (Was 50lb at 6 months) and at 4 cups a day it comes out to 1464 calories per day. (366/cup) At 4 months she was eating 2-2.5 cups a day depending on her activity level. At 552 calories per cup it came out to 1104-1380 calories per day for the 2-2.5 cup feedings.

4Health Salmon & Potato has 327 calories per cup so at 5 cups a day you're feeding 1635 calories. If your dog is maintaining a healthy weight on this then that is how much to feed. If he's getting too chubby then cut back. If he's too skinny then you probably should look into a higher calorie food. Waist line is how you tell if the dog is eating enough, not by seeming hungry.

Last edited by ChancetheGSD; 10-13-2012 at 11:11 AM.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Jack is 6 months old and weights 52 pounds. I was feeding hin royal canin but for past one month has been feeding his boiled chicken and royal canin junior 30 (2:1) measures two times a day. He eats chicken portions and then after an hrs or so finishes the rest. Throws all tantrums if he is not fed chicken.
Biren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancetheGSD View Post
It's really going to come down to your dogs metabolism, activity level and how many calories are in the cup more than anything.

Gretchen gets 4 cups a day, 2 in the morning and 2 at night. If we have a lazy day where we both sleep for most of the day then she'll get a little less or if we have an active day I'll either give her an extra snack of a large biscuit to add some calories or a little extra kibble. It evens it's self out pretty well on keeping her fit. An average day she runs 1-2 miles (At her pace, I don't run her on leash this young), plays with our other large dog Maggie for a while or has play dates with friends dogs/goes to the dog park, we go for walks (anywhere from 30min-1.5 hours), she plays on her flirt and/or spring pole, we do small bits of obedience training including things like long distance recalls (maybe 10-20min 3-4x/week) and during the warmer months she likes to play with the water hose or go swimming in the pond. :P So she's fairly active I would say.

With that said, she's almost 6.5 months old (Was 50lb at 6 months) and at 4 cups a day it comes out to 1464 calories per day. (366/cup) At 4 months she was eating 2-2.5 cups a day depending on her activity level. At 552 calories per cup it came out to 1104-1380 calories per day for the 2-2.5 cup feedings.

4Health Salmon & Potato has 327 calories per cup so at 5 cups a day you're feeding 1635 calories. If your dog is maintaining a healthy weight on this then that is how much to feed. If he's getting too chubby then cut back. If he's too skinny then you probably should look into a higher calorie food. Waist line is how you tell if the dog is eating enough, not by seeming hungry.

Perfectly said!!!
Diesel-GSD
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethaniiMarcinko View Post
He just turned 4 moths and we feed him 3 times a day and feed him 2 cups for breakfast a cup for lunch and 2 cups for dinner! I don't think it's enough because he's always hungry. I can't seem to find a good website that says how many cups to fee them.

What are you feeding him? And what do the feeding instructions suggest for a puppy of his weight? I'd start off with that. 4 cups may seem like enough but it depends on the kibble....and as doggiedad suggested, I'd split the meals into 3 times a day rather than 2.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I go by the bag and then make changes based on weight gain and if they're eating all of it or not. Grim wasn't finishing all of his food, so I started giving less. This is because he's free fed, though, and he dribbles water into his kibble so I toss whatever's left at the end of the day, wash the bowl, and start over. Too expensive to throw out a bunch of food each day! I also give other foods, though, so some days he eats more than others depending on how much cooked food he's had that day.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

My 6.5 month old GSD puppy eats 4 to 5 cups of Avoderm kibble a day with meat tossed in 3 to 4 times a week. She looks healthy and not chubby. In fact, a few nonGSD owners have said she is thin. She is not that active, so I don't know where she puts it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.