Puppy Food Ingredient and Nutrition Spreadsheet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Puppy Food Ingredient and Nutrition Spreadsheet

Hi all, since there always are questions about food recommendations for our puppies I have been compiling a spreadsheet with some basic ingredient and nutritional information on some foods that are often recommended, and some that are not. I have found it useful when thinking about what food to consider rotating into Jasmine's diet and when looking to switch foods ... although I have mostly decided on my choices of food for Jazz, I have continued to update the sheet anyway in hopes that others may find it useful.

If there is anything anyone would like me to add, change, or any other suggestions to improve it please let me know. I will continue to update either way, but it would be helpful if others that may find it useful could let me know what I should add and/or change.

Anyhow, here is the link for anyone who may be interested, and I hope that someone aside from myself finds it useful : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1NuX290bG5ULVE
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I hope everyone looks at it. Great information.

But 2 things that I think are really important. #1., is the food made in-house? I feel this is almost as important as the ingredient list. #2 who do is supplying them? This is pretty hard to figure out and takes some serious research. I found that Tyson supplies a lot of chicken meal. But their chicken meal is bone heavy, and that ='s low grade C. meal. If your interested, they will give those numbers in a spread sheet and you can get it from them. Brothers gets their C. meal form them and after checking this out, I rate Brothers as a 2 star food, where as some people think they are great. Very little meat in Brothers, due to this. Just one of many dog food companies who get their meal from Tyson. UGH, is the word if your dog food company is getting their meal from Tyson.
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks for the comment. I am considering at least including the manufacturer of each food, assuming that information is available and emailing a few companies about calcium and phosphorus info for those foods that don't include it in their GA.

Not sure how much else I'll add at this point though as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in having the info available in this format. Oh well, at least it was useful to me
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Sorry, I've taken a look but never commented. It was very useful for me, I recently switched Gaia to Acana Pacifica and it was nice to have a list of other foods to quickly compare main ingredients.

Thanks!
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I'm making it a sticky so it doesn't get lost.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I like it. Its helpul

I would suggest to add a date reviewed field because the formulas change (for example Acana is now different than the 29.7lb bags with new formulas)

And a link to a vendor website.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Gaia_bear - thanks, glad it was useful for you.

Jean - thanks for making this a sticky. Guess I have no choice but to keep updating it now

Nancy - thanks for the suggestions. I need to update a couple of the Acana formulas and find out what the new large bag size it. I will also make the names of each food either a link to the companies homepage or possibly a link to the formula itself for anyone who want to see the entire ingredient list or full GA. I will also add a column to indicate when each entry was last updated.

I think I am also going to either redo or remove the pricing info altogether. Local prices only really matter to me, and the online prices will probably fluctuate too often to keep up to date. Maybe I could just link to places where it is available online?

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Lots of updates over the last couple days ... Hopefully for the better
Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Here is a cleaner, html version of the sheet: Quick Reference Puppy Food Nutrition Chart.

I would replace the link in the original post, but I can no longer edit that post.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to CelticGlory

Thank you so much Ken, this will be very helpful to a lot of people not just new puppy owners, but those who need to know what to feed and can find out the lbs per bag of the food before they switch.

CelticGlory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.