Orijen Large Breed Puppy + 5 Months of patience = Still Diarrhea - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Orijen Large Breed Puppy + 5 Months of patience = Still Diarrhea

Hey all,

I want to start out by saying, this is a very detailed post about poo so if it makes you uncomfortable, I'd suggest skipping this hahaha.

I've had my GSD puppy on Orijen since switching him off it it when I got him at 8 weeks old. His stool was always loose and it was always a coin toss on whether it would be mostly solid or complete pudding. With patience we eventually got him to a point where his stool was mostly solid consistently and it only took him a minute to poop and be done. He was about 3-4 months old then.

The we moved to CA (from MA). But a week before we left we had a get together with friends to say bye. One made a very very very stupid move and put chocolate carvel icecream cake on a shoebox laying around instead of on the table. And of course within seconds, puppy devoured it. We were battling with EXPLOSIVE diarrhea for over a month. Literally every 2 hours he needed to go outside and could barely make it out the door before it was too late. After a couple months we FINALLY got a solid poo. But again its always a coin toss but now instead of solid-ish stool vs mushy stool, it is kind of solid vs straight diarrhea. And even when he has a solid-ish poo, he keeps on trying and always pushes out a few drops of diarrhea.

We are very very patient and just keep him on a consistent diet with very little extra treats (thankfully he's happy to train for his Orijen instead of other rich treats). We've noticed that it could be that Orijen is just VERY rich and we need to feed him a lot less of it. So we tried out that theory and cut him back a lot and his stool is more consistently solid, but he's starting to see reaaally skinny, which worried me because he should be a growing puppy. So we also tried canned pumpkin. Can't really tell any difference with him on pumpkin but we are still trying.

Through all of this, he has been doing great on the food (other than the recent scrawniness). His coat is absolutely gorgeous and he gets comments on it from everyone. I just don't know what to do! I need to feed him more to grow but his stomach just doesn't seem to agree with it. I don't want to feed him some other cheap processed food and I feel after reading up on it that Orijen is the best kibble on the market. Do you think I should try switching him to the adult formula of Orijen and see if that works better? Or will that be dangerous because a different ratio of proteins and what not?

What do you guys think?
bboylayz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

My vet told me to switch from Orijen Large puppy to Orijen adult at about 5 months old. He's been great on it. His stool is usually solid. If he's had a bullystick, pig ear or treats the day before, it is usually soft and mushy (and impossible to pick up.. yuck). FWIW, my dog's been on Orijen most of his life (11 mos old now) and he is on the skinny side. I can sometimes see his ribs when he walks/runs. Vet says he is healthy though at around 65lbs.

I'm assuming you've ruled out any parasites etc...
S19977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Also, forgot to mention. To make this worse, it seems he probably picked something up at the dog park a couple weeks back and ended up with an intestinal infection. More explosive diarrhea and vomiting. Vets admitted him, put him on IV and antibiotics. He recovered from the fever and vomiting in 2 days but then was put on Science I/D for a week or so to let his stomach heal. He did OK on it stool hardness-wise but I assume there are a lot of fibrous fillers that the grain free diets try to avoid. Poor guy has been suffering from diarrhea his whole life so far.

I would talk to my vet but they have never heard of Orijen and grain free (the previous actually told me grain-free isn't the way to go because dogs are omnivores). My stand on that is that dogs are carnivores with the ability to process other types of food as well to survive. But my vet will probably just say switch him to Iams and if he still doesn't do well, we can test him for bowel disease etc. Just assuming... I could be wrong. Want to try other things before resorting to using my vet as a nutritionist.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S19977 View Post
My vet told me to switch from Orijen Large puppy to Orijen adult at about 5 months old. He's been great on it. His stool is usually solid. If he's had a bullystick, pig ear or treats the day before, it is usually soft and mushy (and impossible to pick up.. yuck). FWIW, my dog's been on Orijen most of his life (11 mos old now) and he is on the skinny side. I can sometimes see his ribs when he walks/runs. Vet says he is healthy though at around 65lbs.

I'm assuming you've ruled out any parasites etc...
Good to know he is doing well on adult food at such a young age. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Yeah, we've ruled out parasites and what not. Especially since the intestinal infection episode a couple weeks ago. They ran lots and lots of tests.

Do you use regular Orijen adult or the Orijen 6 Fish or whatever that one is? Also, did he have diarrhea issues with large breed puppy?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh btw, in case anyone was wondering, he is now about 7.5 months old and at about 58 pounds
Old 10-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was not sure from your post, have you tried any other foods?
It could be that he is allergic or sensitive to some ingredient in the Orijen. Or it could be that he has an issue like SIBO or EPI. Also some dogs just do not do well on certain foods even if they are the best foods out there (which I agree Orijen a good one) so that is another possibility.

If he is 7 months I think it should probably be ok to switch to an adult/all life stages food.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboylayz View Post
Good to know he is doing well on adult food at such a young age. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Yeah, we've ruled out parasites and what not. Especially since the intestinal infection episode a couple weeks ago. They ran lots and lots of tests.

Do you use regular Orijen adult or the Orijen 6 Fish or whatever that one is? Also, did he have diarrhea issues with large breed puppy?
I usually just get the Orijen Adult (I think it's blue). I just ordered the fish flavor (red bag) to change things up. His stool was softer with the puppy food yes. I brought it up to the vet and they attributed it mostly to an immature system. I used to be really OCD about his stool. But nowadays I don't worry too much about it, unless the vet says something.

Good point what Chicagocanine said. I have a cat that was on very good food, but had soft stools. I switched to a comparable brand and things got better, or should I say....firmer
S19977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The "best" kibble is one that agrees with your dog! Personally I would have switched his food a long time ago to see it that cleared up the poop issues. (And I don't mean to another Orijen kibble either.) I would try something a little less "high powered".

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

I haven't tried other foods (except the Science diet he was one for a week and a half after the infection). I've been just hoping it would get better after a couple months of consistency but other unforseen factors kept getting in the way (the chocolate ice cream cake, the stomach infection) so I wasn't really SURE his body was ever in a great state to efficiently digest and adapt to the food as it would for more than a month or two and adjust without something else happening. But I'm now finally starting to think it may be the food. I think I will probably get him the Orijen Adult and see if that helps in the next month and if not maybe I'll switch him to Canidate grain free (the only reason why I haven't tried it was because I heard Orijen has a better Calcium and Phosphorus level to prevent skeletal issues while they are growing).

S19977, how much do you feed him a day? Currently on large breed puppy he is getting about 2-2.5 cups daily - split up to two meals a day far apart (with little bits of it throughout the day during training). Figure the further apart the better so it isn't just quickly passing through his system and actually let his body absorb as much as it can before more food moves the system along.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGSD View Post
The "best" kibble is one that agrees with your dog! Personally I would have switched his food a long time ago to see it that cleared up the poop issues. (And I don't mean to another Orijen kibble either.) I would try something a little less "high powered".
The reason he is still on it is because I don't think it was given a fair chance given all the circumstances AND other than the soft stool, he's been doing GREAT on it. Coat is incredible, doesn't shed as much as most German Shedders I see haha. And his energy level is great as well. I took him out for 5 hours today and just played ball, ran around, did some training, then ran around with other dogs. And we was still going. I was the one that had to call it quits. We did the same thing yesterday.

But if the stool never improves after a couple more months without incident (illness, etc), I probably will find another high quality food. Do you recommend any other brands? So far I am considering Canidae grain free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.