Pup doesn't want to eat (picky eater?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pup doesn't want to eat (picky eater?)

Vet says she is healthy, nothing is wrong but she seems so bored and not into eating. We started her on the RC German Shepherd puppy formula and she liked it for a few days and now she will eat a couple bites at both of her meals for a few days then she will scarf 1 morning after she hasn't eaten for a few days. I called the store and they said I could exchange her food for something else but my husband tried to feed her some of the Beneful she was on before and loved but she ate barely more than with the RC. I am thinking Wellness LBP because it is a stronger smell so she may be more attracted to it and maybe even some wet food. Anyone else have this happen or have any tips? Am I overreacting? I should say she will eat her treats, Pet Botanics dog roll, like a mad woman, but we don't give her enough to make the treats be the reason she isn't hungry/wont eat.

Jäger - Born 1/11/2012

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 08-19-2011 at 12:30 AM.
tsteves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

If you had your puppy checked out and the vet says everything is fine. And if your puppy WILL eat treats, just not interested in regular food.... then is sounds like you have a picky eater on your hands.

I had one too! My GSD Elsa Rose was a picky eater for most of her life. Initially everyone said 'Don't let her be the boss'....'Hang tough and take up the food she won't starve to death'...... 'This is a control issue and you can't give in'.....

So I picked up the food everytime she wandered off from the bowl for over 3 days and watched my already skinny girl dog lose weight (over 5 pounds) and she could care less. Still would enjoy eating her training treats though!

I decided that the recommendations I had been given were ridiculous for my situation. It appeared that regular dog food just was boring and uninteresting for Elsa, so she'd pass. Rather than me continuing to hang tough to 'show her' and prove something (not sure what at this point except that she could indeed still walk around and appear healthy with all her ribs hanging out), I decided to come up with a solution that would get her eating.

It appeared that any regular kibble, ANY type, would quickly become boring to her so she'd start skipping the meals. It also appeared that adding something yummy to the 'boring' kibble would get her to not only start eating but FINISH eating.

My goal became to figure out the least amount of an additive to add to her normal kibble amount to get her to eat. Fairly quickly I determined that any of my leftovers in the fridge would work. A surprisingly small amount (1/4 cup or less) of cut up teeny pizza/chicken/spagetti/beef/cottage cheese/yogurt/mashed potatoes/buttered green beans....... almost ANY human food....... MIXED WITH WATER to make a gravy to coat the kibble with the flavor would have my dog eat her meals.

Another really easy go-to for me was found in the cat food aisle. I would buy a bunch of cans of CAT food that were on sale, different flavors and brands cause variety seemed to be a key element to keep my dog eating.

This sized can. The amazing thing about cat food is the companies know cats are finicky so they have to make the food super stinky and yummy. Well those same stinky/yummy factors worked for my dog. Plus ONLY 1/4 or 1/3 of this can, MIXED WITH WATER, and added to the kibble pretty much guaranteed the meal would be licked up to the last drop.

So easy to store the rest of the can in the fridge with the plastic pet lids you can purchase. And easy to travel with and store if you are away from home!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you, I think that she is just picky and bored. Today I bought her the Wellness LBP dry food and some Wellness wet food since they have great ingredients and they are pretty smelly compared to RC. I only gave her the dry food to see if she would eat any and she ate about 1/4 cup so that is better than usual, and she will get just dry for dinner as well. Tomorrow we will mix a little of the Wellness Wet food and see if we can get her to finish a full meal. We have learned that she is crazy for pig ears so i was thinking about giving her a pig ear when she finishes a whole meal to maybe associate eating a full GOOD meal will result in her favorite treat ever. I have never had a picky eater for a pet before so its all gonna be trial and error I think.

Jäger - Born 1/11/2012
Old 07-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Picky eaters are tough. I had a shepherd years ago (RIP Zeus), who was picky and I did pretty much the same as MaggieRoseLee (not the canned cat food, always thought it was bad for dogs) and as long as I gave Zeus variety he would eat his full meals with no problems. Usually used my dinner leftovers to mix in with his dry kibble with a lil water
Mandalyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Take into consideration the heat.

My male has never missed a meal in his life. Yet the past two days it has been in the 100's and he has skipped his breakfast but eaten dinner. He too will still eat treats if they are high value. But the heat has made him apathetic along with the rest of my dogs (I assume they are eating their meals because they get fed only once a day. He's as healthy as a horse.

Just something to keep in mind
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I have considered the heat at well. It hasn't been too hot here in the high 80's low 90's and the house is always a crisp 72ish but I lose my appetite in the summer months when i get hot so i figure it could be the same for her. She is supposed to be in the middle of growing though and she is getting a little skinny so I would like to spike her interest and get her eating more so she can keep growing.

Jäger - Born 1/11/2012
Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have been exactly where you are and am actually in the middle of fighting a picky eater right now! Stoli is the absolute worst when it come to being picky and we have tried EVERYTHING I swear. However we have found a few things that work and yes the heat is getting to my boy here in Boise as he only ate about half his normal food today but I know he's ok since he just went to the vet also and is all playful and liking his treats. Some examples of things I tried was raw hamburger, cottage cheese, peanut butter, sprinkle of my roommates cat food (lol) we also now mix a bit of tripe with his kibble and he seems to like that...tonight he got some tuna fish and hte oil just for the smell. Hang in there with a picky boy there are days I can't stand it and wanna scream but it's ok it'll work out I promise or at least that's what I hope lol
stolibaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

She is doing bettter now. She still doesnt eat much in the mornings but she is more than willing to chase around the huge Kong, the one they have to roll around and work to get the food out, for hours. Its funny I put some food in her bowl and some in the Kong and she just looks at the stuff in the bowl and plays with the Kong. At night we mix wet food and she eats it all, and then chases the Kong around somemore . I love watching her little puppy antics.

Jäger - Born 1/11/2012
Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is exactly how my Stella is! I have switched her to Simply Nourish and she does seem to like it a little better than the other brands we have tried. I know it isn't grain free, but I just did not know how to choose a grain free for a puppy that didn't have too high calcium in it and I finally just picked something and stuck with it. It might not be the "best" food but I do think it is high quality. What's funny though, if I use it for training treats, she eats it right up!
SummerwoodSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I added a lil chicken broth to her food and that seemed to get her to eat a lil more.
mojocat27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.