Pup doesn't want to eat (picky eater?) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #21 (permalink)

Bear can be picky too. I finally found a decent puppy food with a kibble big enough for him to chew.

The last one had tiny little bits, and he sucked it up and swallowed by the mouthful. Every third or so mouthful he choked and had to spit it out and try again. ChompGulpChompGulp Chomp *hack* (repeat)

What I do to increase interest is to supplement weekly with sardines in oil a couple of times a week, and deglaze my cooking pans. "Aha!" you say,
"Wot is that then?"

When I'm finished cooking whatever it is that we are eating, I will pour a bit of water into the pans and boil off the sauce/grease/meat stickies into a thin soup and pour that over the three bowls of food for the doggies.

Not for anything super spicy of course, but those nights when pan boilings are not suitable the sardines come out. Cheap sardines in oil, bulk pack buy about a dollar a can split amongst three dogs.

Three benefits,

One - doggies eat dinner with interest,
Two - it doesn't cost anything extra in time or cash, and
Three - It makes my two teenagers happy as well. It SAVES time in the fact that the dishes are easier to do.

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.
Oskar der Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default Pup doesn't want to eat...

Hi Everyone,

Rex is my 13 week old puppy and he has suddenly stopped showing interest in his food. I brought him in to see our vet because of a runny nose and itch that he had, but those symptoms are going away and the vet noticed that he was getting a little skinny.

Right now the only way Rex will eat is if I have his kibble in my hand or I drop the kibble onto the kitchen floor in front of him. I tried mixing in canned food with his kibble and that worked for a few days but now he is back to not wanting to eat. The only way he would eat this morning was when I had his canned food mixed with his kibble on the spoon I used. He ate about a quarter of his food then stopped.

Since Rex is still a puppy, I do not want him missing out on his meals and the nutrients that he needs, but I do not know what to do. Should I go back to taking away his food bowl after 15 minutes even if he hasn't touched his food? Should I try a different brand of food?

When I first got Rex, he was eating Kahoots Lamb mix and I switched him over to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy food. Should I try going back to his old food? I have had him now for 6 weeks and it seems odd that he would suddenly not want his food anymore.

As far as his behavior goes, he is still his high energy self. He loves playing with his toys and was running around the house last night even though he didn't want to eat his food.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I love Rex and just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to make sure he is a healthy and happy GSD puppy. Thanks!
Rex_the_sable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
If your puppy is picky as eater and has been vet cleared as healthy.....then you are feeding too much and too often. The dog is not hungry when the food gets delivered or has access to food ongoing....both of these things will reinforce a picky eater.
Abby was/is a picky eater so I put her on free feeding. I kept/keep a cup and a half of kibble in her bowl and when that is gone I put in another cup and a half. I don't fret because I know she won't starve herself. She has maintained a perfect weight for her build since she was a pup, so says the vet. She is slender but her ribs and hips are well padded. Evidence is the photos in her album attached to my avatar.
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

I see that having a picky eater is a common problem.
my 6 month old GSD mix, Sophie, was eating all of her puppy kibble, Now! by petcurean, within 10 minutes of placing it in the bowl. A week ago, I bought a new bag of Now! and she barely sniffed it. I took her food away 30 minutes after i placed it in the bowl and did not give her any treats for 2 days and it didn't work. Today I am trying the free feeding method, but she has only eaten 1 cup. Every time I have food she comes to beg for food, but i don't give her any. What is troubling me is that I am flying to visit my family and I can not take her with me on the plane... Too much money and I don't want to traumatize her with the change in pressure. I am leaving her behind with a friend that has 2 dogs, but i am not sure if he will take the time to feed her, or if his dogs will eat her kibble.
I will go buy some wet puppy food from Petsmart to mix with her kibble. Hopefully that works until I come back and test some more methods.
Btw, I have given my puppy Nutri-cal for her the necessary nutrients, is that contributing to her pickiness?
jjmonty82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar der Drachen View Post
Bear can be picky too. I finally found a decent puppy food with a kibble big enough for him to chew.

The last one had tiny little bits, and he sucked it up and swallowed by the mouthful. Every third or so mouthful he choked and had to spit it out and try again. ChompGulpChompGulp Chomp *hack* (repeat)

What I do to increase interest is to supplement weekly with sardines in oil a couple of times a week, and deglaze my cooking pans. "Aha!" you say,
"Wot is that then?"

When I'm finished cooking whatever it is that we are eating, I will pour a bit of water into the pans and boil off the sauce/grease/meat stickies into a thin soup and pour that over the three bowls of food for the doggies.

Not for anything super spicy of course, but those nights when pan boilings are not suitable the sardines come out. Cheap sardines in oil, bulk pack buy about a dollar a can split amongst three dogs.

Three benefits,

One - doggies eat dinner with interest,
Two - it doesn't cost anything extra in time or cash, and
Three - It makes my two teenagers happy as well. It SAVES time in the fact that the dishes are easier to do.
I've modified this a bit now.

They were doing all right on the plan, but it was a bit hit or miss on the practicality.

What I graduated to was to get a good quality dog roll and for feeding times I will take a slice of this, mash it, and mix in a cup or so of hot water to make a mush, divide it into the three bowls mixed with the kibble and go from there.

Three different kibbles for now. Light/Mature for the little old dog, Regular large biscuits for the big Lab, and a good quality puppy kibble with larger bites for Bear the 8mo GS.

Still supplementing with sardines in oil for the coats.

Healthy puppy bowels, cold noses, shiny coats, bright eyes, and a happy Daddy.

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.
Oskar der Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

Thank you for this thread! We have my GSD on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy, and he is just not into it. However right now he is on boiled chicken and rice for an upset stomach. And he LOVES it. I am going to try (once he cleared for kibble again) adding some sardines or chicken to the kibble.

Poor puppy has lost 2 pounds in a week, so I worry about him. Healthwise he has been cleared by the vet, no worms, no parasites, etc.
KaiserBastiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think they are too smart for kibble sometimes. They know there is more to life than that.
Regarding the heat I am considering feeding my 6 month old pup (on a raw diet) once a day in the evening to keep him eager for food. can't believe he leaves a chicken back alone.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #28 (permalink)

Thanks to our vet found the perfect solution for our picky eater.. 1 3/4 cups RC puppy food , table spoon pumpkin, small spoonful Iams lamb and rice, 1/2 to 3/4 cups of water, heat in microwave 12 seconds, so warm not hot, and she scarfs it down now. Gets this twice a day,...sometimes it's is some left over chicken breast instead of iams .. Each microwave is different so tst time until its just warm and not hot..The warming really did the trick as the mixture has not changed since we got her at eight weeks. Our vet said a
Ot of GSD's are picky eaters.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default Mine is also a picky eater

Thank you for the posts on ways to resolve the picky eater. I finally dropped the Royal Canin and picked up a bag of Blue Wilderness puppy food. He ate the first bowl but it was late in the afternoon so he is not eating his evening meal. I can't wait until tomorrow to see how he likes it. I am now going to breakdown and do what I said I wouldn't do - that is buy canned food to get him to eat.

Keep the ideas coming. Please tell me this to shall pass!
Bear's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #30 (permalink)

Grandma Lucy's Artisan Grain Free Bison Freeze Dried Dog Food

I mix one cup of dry with two cups of water. This is enough for a full day of trick the dog into eating lol. Put some over the food at each feeding. It is not little chunks like it shows on the bag just to warn you. More like a stew. I get jealous of her each time I make it. Smells amazing!
WhiteSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.