6 Week old puppy, what chew toy to give? or should i? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile 6 Week old puppy, what chew toy to give? or should i?

I'm just wondering if i should give my 6 week old puppy a chew toy. He's been chewing a lot on our shoes and couch. Any suggestions on which brands or which specific one would be great! Oh should i wait till he older?
kmalone18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Get him some stuffies, some nyla bones, just no tennis balls or rawhides that can splinter off.... Those can harm more than help....
WarrantsWifey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Bully sticks are great for puppies...just make sure you take it away before it gets too short...you don't want your puppy to choke on it.
Hillary_Plog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

I know people don't like rawhides but a large rawhide is the only thing that REALLY keeps my baby interested. Being that they're not for her size, she has a hard time chewing it in a way she can bite off chunks. But it works at keeping her entertained for long periods of time.

I don't like Nylabones, I've never understood how people can be so against rawhides and then recommend the dog chew on (and chew off pieces of) a plastic toy.

JMO.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I hope that you're crating him when you can't watch him. He shouldn't be able to chew on your shoes and couch because he should never be left alone and unsupervised. It's very dangerous because he could ingest pieces of whatever he chews and it could cause an intestinal blockage requiring expensive surgery to save his life.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have bounced around from a pigskin stick type edible thing to a dogzilla barbell shape to recently at Walmart a bacon flavored plastic edge bone-shape thing with textured rubber like stuff in the middle portion. He really digs this last one and hasn't even scratched it in a week of hard chewing. The pigskin sticks were great but when we traveled they digested slow and he would barf pieces up along with anything else in the tummy. The dogzilla barbell worked great but at the first piece I saw on the floor after a month of use out it went. We are phasing out of the chew phase thankfully.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancetheGSD View Post
I know people don't like rawhides but a large rawhide is the only thing that REALLY keeps my baby interested.
I too am aware of the evils of rawhides but have never had a problem with them, other than sometimes when I find the cheap thin ones, they give them the runs. The Beefeater brand ones from Costco have never given us problems. However I heard somewhere that they're not to be given to puppies under 6 months... My dogs have had them since 6 weeks too.
Jax's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I hope that you're crating him when you can't watch him. He shouldn't be able to chew on your shoes and couch because he should never be left alone and unsupervised. It's very dangerous because he could ingest pieces of whatever he chews and it could cause an intestinal blockage requiring expensive surgery to save his life.
Agreed...we got our pup at a touch over 8 weeks and she has never chewed on furniture because we are constantly watching her. Crate otherwise.

She picks up a shoe from time to time, which we immediately take from her.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, we are crate training him. We watch him constantly, It was only a few times when we very first got him. He's doing much better now. He loves the bully sticks His bed is infront of the couch and we watch him while he chews it. We never leave him alone with it, ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.