urinating frequency - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default urinating frequency

Earlier I posted a thread about how many bm's in a day and what food/how much....I should have added this question........

How often is normal when they are young puppies? Jake is 13 weeks old....I am home with him and take him out every 2 hours and he goes EVERY two hours, and at night I get up every 2 -3 hours remove him from his crate and take him outside and he goes EVERY time...

I do not allow him water 2-3 hours before retiring to bed.

I realize he is young but at what point should he be at least trying to hold it? I have only has two accidents inside BUT that is because I am right here and watch the clock all day and all night. I ring a bell at the door each time we go out to POTTY so that eventually he will nudge the bell to signal me.

I am just a little worried he is urinating way too much and too often.....
jakeandrenee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I guess I am asking the average time frame between potty to help decide if this is also norm or is he possibly beginning a uti...Not sure if they are common w/males.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your little guy is doing just fine. My 17 week aussie foster puppy has to go out every 1/2 hour when awake and pees every single time, but only goes out every four hours at night. She is able to hold it while I'm at work.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

The rule of thumb is generally an hour for every month old the dog is. So for a 13 week old 3 hours would be the maximum. But this is for while the dog is drinking, if you are restricting water at night he should be able to hold it longer.

Males can get UTIs, I wouldnt worry about that though unless there was a sudden change in potty habits; such as accidents inside on an otherwise dependable dog, asking to go out much more frequently, straining to go etc. It sounds like your puppy is right on track for his age!
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 05:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Does he wake you up at night every 2-3 hours or are you waking him up to go potty? My Ava just turned 10 weeks yesterday....the first week we had her she would wake me up at night every 2-2.5 hours to go potty. Now she sleeps from about 10pm-4am without waking up to go out. I think that I would let him sleep at night until he actually wakes you up to go out. just my opinion. Pulling up the water is great and the daytime schedule is great. He sounds like he is definatly on track for his age though.
www.southeastgsdrescue.org

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Abby 18 yr old Lab R.I.P.
AvaLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Lucy is 13.5 weeks and still goes out every 1.5-2 hours-not because she tells me, but because I take her out. Lucy usually sleeps through the night 9:15 - 5:00 in her crate.
sadie006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well ok, sounds like Jake is pretty normal also, last night he went 4 hours, he didn't cry to go out but paced and scratched floor of crate so loudly I woke up in the next room. I wish he would bark or really tell me but I guess in good time! Thanks everybody for weighing in on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.