4 1/2 month old german shepherd diet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4 1/2 month old german shepherd diet

well she used to be on raw/kibble mix which i loved but she got really sick with parvo (2 weeks ago) and now we cant do that diet. we have her on natural balance LIMITED INGREDIENT DIET since we arent sure how her stomache would react to the raw or anything else. we are feeding her canned food and dry food mix. right now im feeding her a can in the morning and 1/4 cup mix, 1/2 cup dry at lunch, and 1 can and 1/2 cup at night. she seems like shes still starving after we feed her, should we be giving her more a day? how much should we feed her of this diet a day do you think? shes 41lbs and about 18 weeks.
tugginntrackin715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you should be feeding him more and a different food. Why are you feeding him wet food if he might have stomache issues?

You need to switch to a food with a lower amount of calcium to help support her joints.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

this is the ONLY food she will eat after she got sick, she wont eat anything else, trust me i have tried everything. i dont think there is anything bad about the food and its pretty bland for her stomache, i just want to know how much to feed her.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That doesn't sound like enough. The best way to judge is keep an eye on her actual weight which should be increasing and on her ribs. You want her lean, but not skinny. The ribs should be easy to feel and see a few of them, but they shouldn't feel sharp. If she starts getting a little pudgy, then you can cut back.

There is nothing wrong with what you are feeding her as long as it's agreeing with her. She does have special feeding needs after the damage that parvo did to it. Feed what works.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you, how much would you suggest? i was thinking 1 can and 1/2 cup in the am, 1 cup at lunch, 1 can 1/2 cup at dinner time. sound like enough? or should it be 1 can 1 cup to make it around 5 cups a day roughly. i just dont want her growing too fast and disruppting joint growth. she only eats this food (allergic to grains also), nothing else since she knows what agrees with her.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No dog is allergic to grains in general. They might have problems with some or even a lot of them, but there is no such thing as a general grain allergy. She may well have problems with various meats too.

I would be cutting out as much of the canned food as possible and I don't believe in limiting kibble to puppies unless they are one of the few that will gorge themselves. Puppies are busy growing and go through growth spurts where they need to increase their food intake some days and not others. You can still keep an eye on how much your puppy is eating by measuring how much you put down for dinner and how much is left when she's done. I would feed as much as she wants of the dry kibble three times a day and pick it up between meals.

Don't worry about the growing too fast thing, just keep an eye on her weight so she stays a lean machine. Your girl has a damaged GI tract and who knows how well she's absorbing things. See what happens when you let her eat as much dry kibble as she wants three times a day; be sure to pick it up when she's done eating. People put way too much thought into how much their puppy needs to eat; they look at the bag, they ask other people, when they should be letting their puppy tell them by making sure they keep gaining weight while staying lean.

If you don't want to try this, then I would go with how much you were thinking and take it from there. She clearly needs more to eat.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Have you seen the feeding guidelines for puppies on their website, that might help you. I don't know which formula you are feeding.

**** Van Patten's Natural Balance® L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Formula For Dogs and Puppies

I am glad your puppy is at home and doing well after the parvo.

Michaela

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you realize that too much calcium can cause her to grow too fast and ruin bones/joints?
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This puppy has bigger problems right now than worrying about that. It's not like he's adding extra Ca to the diet.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

this food actually has less calcium than most large breed puppy foods, such brands as eagle pack and other big names have 1.5% min calclium, this only has 1.2%. we are going to wean her off the wet food, only kept her on it since the vets recommended it until she was 100% back to normal, going to try to give her 6-7 cups of dry a day and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.