Book Recommendation - Please Add your Favorite! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Book Recommendation - Please Add your Favorite!

I thought with so many new members coming on board recently, it might be a good time to post some of our favorite books we’ve read on the most wonderful breed of all… the German Shepherd. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] They can be about training, behavior, the breed in general, rescue or adoption or any others you feel might be helpful to those that are new to the breed or for those of us that just can’t seem to get enough!

One of the books I’ve recently read (even though not GSD specific) was “A Dogs Mind: Understanding Your Dogs Behavior,” by Bruce Fogle. I found it very interesting how he explains the pack mentality of dogs (no matter how domesticated they’ve become, it will exist) and how many of the everyday behaviors we see in our dogs have been ingrained in their genetic make up. He explains possible reasons why a dog may behave in a certain way, good or bad, and gives insight how to correct it.
Another very interesting thing he goes in to is how hormones play in to their behavior. What changes take place chemically and hormonally when a bitch gives birth and how those hormones effect the pups. He also explains the the stages of development the puppies go through and how our behavior as well as the mother’s effects their later behavior and development. He also discusses the effects of spaying and neutering.

It’s more along the lines of a scientific study than just a normal behavioral book. He goes in to a bit more detail than most books I’ve read and he uses basic physiology terminology to explain the behaviors we see in our dogs. I found it very interesting and would highly recommend it to anyone who is really interested in getting into their dogs head!
Nitro- Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Italian One

Default Re: Book Recommendation - Please Add your Favorite!

Here’s an oldie but goodie - one every GSD lover should have IMO. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

‘The German Shepherd Dog in Word & Picture’ by Max v. Stephanitz
Of course, written by the man that is credited as the father of the GSD. This man had amazing wisdom. Reading his book today I find many things still apply. There’s a little of everything in there from history, feeding, breeding, training, etc., etc. My fav GSD Book! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2003, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Jack & Wendy Volharts Dog Training for Dummies.
It's the only book I've found so far that outlines both positive reinforcement and correction in training. Has very practical how to stuff. I especially liked the idea of a long 'just because I said so' down. It helped gain control of Dynamo in some subtle and not so subtle ways.
Now I'm looking for any advanced training books that would take the same balanced approach (ie, positive motivation, backed up by correction when necessary). Any out there? I'm only finding extremes.
kaslkaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2003, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

ITA on Dog Training for Dummies, it is easy to follow and very practical. German Shepherds for Dummies is great too!
sergeismom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2003, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell

they have it at amazon.com

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/ctree.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2003, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2003, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I enjoyed "Purely Positive Training" by Shelia Booth. I liked her concept. I also used her other book "Schutzhund Obedience Training in Drive" for teaching my dogs obedience work.

G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2003, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

The Koehler Method of Dog Training
kutzro357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2003, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

How to Speak Dog By Stanley Coren
I found it much easier to understand than the Dog Whisperer
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2003, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm currently reading The Good Shepherd: Pet Owners Guide to the German Shepherd Dog
by M. Mordecai/Margolis Siegal. It starts at the beginning, explaining how the GSD came to be, which was from a mixture of other herding dogs in Germany. It also includes the attributes of the breed and all the different "work" they're suited for and gives an overview of what to look for when choose the right GSD for you. It seems like a good resource if a person was considering getting a German Shepherd. It's an easy read, does not go into a lot of detail but gives good "basic" information.
Nitro- Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.