German Shepherds Forum banner

January Book Discussion: Art of Racing in the Rain

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  julioalmeda219 
#1 ·
Opening discussion for the book we voted in for January's reading: Garth Stein's "Art of Racing in the Rain"!

Hopefully everyone enjoyed it (and had a chance to finish it in the post-holiday madness). The author has provided some of his own discussion prompts, which I'll borrow to kick off the conversation... Or feel free to take this in an entirely different direction, of course. :)

1. Can you imagine the novel being told from Denny’s point of view? How would it make the story different?

2. Do you find yourself looking at your own dog differently after reading this novel?

3. What did Enzo mean when he said Eve was his rain?

4. Who is King Karma and what does he do?

#5 ·
Good read. I don't think I would had enjoyed it as much if the novel was told from Denny's point of view. Enzo's point of view brought a different perspective to the storey line. Enzo's personality remained me very much of my Scottish Terrier who also loved to watch TV. I'll have to think about that stuffed Zebra.

#7 ·
Good read. I don't think I would had enjoyed it as much if the novel was told from Denny's point of view. Enzo's point of view brought a different perspective to the storey line. Enzo's personality remained me very much of my Scottish Terrier who also loved to watch TV. I'll have to think about that stuffed Zebra.
^ I agree with that.

The stuffed zebra strikes a chord with me - a recurring nightmare. The bad, familiar nightmare that resurfaces randomly, or sometimes when you're stressed.

#9 ·
Ahahahaa yes. The careful plotting and voluntary self sacrifice were spot on.

I also liked the fact that even when things went from bad to worse, the dog still found joy in simple things. One of the biggest reasons I love dogs so much.

Unrelated to dogs, but related to this book, I went somewhere yesterday and they had the Daytona 500 on TV. This was the first time I've ever actually given it more than a glance... I think this book did a great job making the subject of racing interesting to people (like me) who know absolutely nothing about it. The author is incredibly talented.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.