The Genius of Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Default The Genius of Dogs

Has anyone read this? Some search and rescue handlers are very intrigued by it and are buying it.

The Genius of Dogs | Brian Hare

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have it. I liked it. I didn't think it was hugely groundbreaking in any obvious way -- if you've been keeping up with advances in canine cognition research then a lot of it's going to overlap with what other writers (John Bradshaw's the one who leaps to mind instantly, but of course there are others) have been putting out in the last few years.

But it's a good book, well written, easy to read, IMO a worthwhile addition to a growing body of literature on the topic.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Highly recommend this book. Much more along my line of philosophy in respecting the dogs intelligence and co operation , decision making , and mutual benefits from our associations. More along the ideas of Temple Grandin .
Hey, even on the forum - genetic obedience -- which capitalizes on this desire to connect , you have people mocking - airy fairy - wishful thinking.

I have browsed through it . At the moment it sits between Inside of a Dog by Horowitz and A Modern Dogs Life -- .
To keep the reading balanced have the behavioural classics by Pryor and spawn .. Thing Thinking Dog (clicker training).
I understand the magic possible with clicker training especially when well presented . However , there is something which bothers me about it . I think the animal is reduced , here are your options .

With that , recent discoveries using primates in social experiments.
A monkey learns that by touching a pad , a treat is released. Go crazy monkey. At one point other monkeys are wheeled in to watch .
After a while they catch on , are excited when they see the monkey get rewards . A third pad is introduced . The monkey is curious , touches it , and sees that the other monkeys share in treats . Not only does he benefit but so do the others.
What is the frequency of the monkey being altruistic?

Carmspack

Last edited by carmspack; 01-29-2014 at 12:31 PM.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well, I have ordered it. Just had to remember that other book I wanted to get the free shipping .

We had an interesting discussion (FB) on cueing the dogs and our body language. It was pointed out to me (by a LE trainer during a scenario) subtle changes in my own body language on BLIND problems when I have no clue where the hide has been placed but read that my dog is in odor and that he, most assuredly, was cuing on my behaviors....detection handlers have been much more keyed into this in recent years after recent studies on false alerts and handler expectations. I can read HIS body language and tell you whether an odor he has noticed is human remains, prey animal or predator or just other interest.

Anyway, while I did a splendid job of preventing my dog from false alerting by offering all kinds of behaviors on my part that did not "pay off", I did not do as great a job at preventing my body language while he was working out a scent pool. Apparently a good bid of discussion on dogs/body language/humans and the rich communication we have that way....

It all really makes you appreciate the social evolution of the dog-human bond and how dogs and humans truly evolved to partner with one another in a way that exists with no other animal

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

truly "It all really makes you appreciate the social evolution of the dog-human bond and how dogs and humans truly evolved to partner with one another in a way that exists with no other animal "

and when you study very old breeds , as old as and some much older than GSD , and you see the amazing UNTRAINED sharing of talent , it just boogles the mind .

we in our largely urbanized modern culture do the dog a disservice by wanting to keep them in a mentally infantile state.

Carmspack
Old 02-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

did you get your Genius of Dogs yet, would love to have a forum conversation about some points but don't want to spoil anything till you have read it.

Carmspack
Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

It should be delivered to day so I hope to read it sometime this week. The weekend is full of dog work and yard work.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I read it when it came out....loaned it out. I should ask for it back! It was a very interesting read.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

I just finished part 1. Very interesting correlations drawn between the domestication of dogs and humans.

It's a good read so far and I look forward to having discussion when everyone has finished the book. It is hard not to begin now

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have skimmed through it but will dig in next weekend. It has been crazy around here.
Saw this though and thought it related and relevant.

BBC News - Dogs' brain scans reveal vocal responses

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.