German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Favorite Links, Books and Videos! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/favorite-links-books-videos/)
-   -   Recommended comprehensive training book for a beginner? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/favorite-links-books-videos/379377-recommended-comprehensive-training-book-beginner.html)

Bequavious 12-10-2013 03:27 PM

Recommended comprehensive training book for a beginner?

My friend recently got a beagle mix puppy (well to be accurate it's technically his mom's puppy, but he wants to and is doing the majority of the training). This is the first time he's raised a dog, but he really wants to do it well and is open to all information. Perhaps even a little too open, as he has already been advised in a number of dominance theory methods that could be harmful (his vet told him the 3 month old puppy wasn't showing proper respect and needed to be alpha rolled regularly :( ).

Anyway, I want to get him a solid beginners book, but most of what I have in my library is too specialized. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Preferably with positive methods, since physical corrections are more likely to cause problems if they're done incorrectly by a novice.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Merciel 12-10-2013 05:03 PM

For a novice owner with a new puppy? Patricia McConnell's The Puppy Primer. :)

Kaimeju 12-10-2013 08:44 PM

Ian Dunbar's "After You Get Your Puppy."

Pat Miller's "The Power of Positive Dog Training" is also a good read.

Bequavious 12-11-2013 09:02 PM

Awesome thanks!

pressured41 01-02-2014 11:42 PM

I just picked this up, and I can't put it down.. Training the dog to focus on the handler should be the 1st behaviour all dogs must learn.. The price is right too

Clean Run: Control Unleashed®: The Puppy Program

Control Unleashed®: The Puppy Program
Clean Run Productions LLC
Author: Leslie McDevitt, MLA, CDBC, CPDT
Format: Paperback, Full color
Length: 296 pages
Release Date: 2012

Control Unleashed®: Creating a Focused and Confident Dog was written as a problem-solving book to help handlers with mature dogs that were having behavior problems during canine-sport training or competition. This book is different. Control Unleashed®: The Puppy Program is meant as “preventive medicine” for puppy raisers. Many common behavior problems can be either prevented or minimized by starting a puppy with good foundation training from the beginning. In addition, this book provides a program that will help you create a puppy that is ready for sport-specific training at the appropriate age—a puppy with the ability to focus on whatever you want, for as long as you want, whenever you want.

“Paying attention” is its own skill set and teaching it should be separate from teaching your puppy more complex behaviors. Without attention, you won’t get as far as you want with all those other behaviors you’re going to teach because it’s likely they will fall apart in the face of distraction. So it is wise to teach the attention skill set as the “base of operations” for your puppy training. The attention skill set includes: Discrimination skills, self-control skills, and arousal regulation skills.

The concepts and suggestions in this book can also be used for rescue dogs that, like puppies, are starting out as “blank slates” as far as your training is concerned.

MaggieRoseLee 01-03-2014 11:01 AM

Will your friend check out this forum?

Great site that even has videos is ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html

:)

Bequavious 01-03-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pressured41 (Post 4763554)
I just picked this up, and I can't put it down.. Training the dog to focus on the handler should be the 1st behaviour all dogs must learn.. The price is right too

Clean Run: Control Unleashed®: The Puppy Program

Did you just get the puppy one? I had heard of the original and was planning on getting it with my Christmas cash since my pup's almost a year old, but I'm not really sure how much difference it makes.

In any case my friend's mom + puppy are moving back to Texas so I just got him Bones Would Rain From the Sky since it's still interesting without having a dog and it'll give a positive approach for when he's able to get a dog of his own.

pressured41 01-04-2014 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bequavious (Post 4767274)
Did you just get the puppy one? I had heard of the original and was planning on getting it with my Christmas cash since my pup's almost a year old, but I'm not really sure how much difference it makes.

In any case my friend's mom + puppy are moving back to Texas so I just got him Bones Would Rain From the Sky since it's still interesting without having a dog and it'll give a positive approach for when he's able to get a dog of his own.

Yes it was the puppy addition

pressured41 01-04-2014 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee (Post 4765578)
Will your friend check out this forum?

Great site that even has videos is ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html

:)

Thanks Maggie, I will check it out BUT engagement is and should be all owners Mandatory goal w/ there dog.

middleofnowhere 01-04-2014 12:09 PM

Sheila Booth's: Purely Positive Training: Companion to Competition

Can't say anything more. Need to go back and read it again myself.