German Shepherds Forum banner

Favourite place to get unique/custom dog tags?

5K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Lilie 
#1 ·
Anyone know any good places to get nice, unique, perhaps custom dog tags from? I want something different from your average red bone shaped tag... I hate the way typical dog tags look.. want something for Hunter and Zenna to wear every day that I don't think looks cheap and ugly.

Any suggestions or referrals greatly appreciated. :)

#4 ·
#6 ·
I already have a handful of military style dog tags, looking for something a bit different. :D

#9 ·
The Mad Stampers (Oliver'smom's link) look really cool, but I've never ordered from them. I've ordered several tags from Islandtop Design, and they're a great company. They donated a custom tag to our flyball rally last year, which I bid on and won. IslandTop Custom Pet Tags

I had a tag made for Halo that says "Halo, Flyball Diva" on it, and then another one for Keefer that says "If you can read this, I will lick you".

Mad Dog Metalworks makes nice tags too, they donated a pre-made tag to our raffle, and I know people who have ordered from them. https://www.etsy.com/shop/maddogmetal

#10 ·
I got them the stainless steel tags that attach to the collar and don't dangle. They are guaranteed for the life of the pet.

#11 ·
On tip: please don't use the tags that are pressed flat against the collar. I recently was at the shelter here evaluating a beautiful, friendly, well cared for white GSD. He had very thick fur. When I went to rub his neck, I felt a metal plate on the collar, and parted the fur to take a look. It was an ID tag that had been missed by both animal control and the shelter intake staff. The dog had been sitting in the shelter for 3 days, without the owner being called. His hold was up and he was ready for rescue, adoption, or euthanasia.

I called the owner with my cell phone right then. The dog was reclaimed the same day. It all worked out fine, but only because I happened to be volunteering that day and spent some time with that dog.

It's not that the staff doesn't try, but as busy as they are, things get missed. Dangling tags are easier to spot on thick-coated breeds. The whole point of tags is to get the dog home quickly if disaster strikes, and apparently, the flat-against-the-collar can be overlooked--it was something I'd never thought of, but now that i've seen it happen, I want big dangling tags on my dogs!

#12 ·
I'm not sure how they can be missed, I can see my dogs on their collars clear across the room. There is also a glare about them in the light or sun and they aren't small. I'm not saying it can't happen because obviously it has, but they are hard to miss. Midnite can't keep an I'd tag that dangles on for more then a week, he is microchipped which makes me feel more comfortable.

#22 ·
#24 ·
Here is the dog tag I had custom made for Hunter... LOVE IT!!

#27 ·
I talked to the lady that made yours and she sent me a ton of IPO inspired prints. I have it tagged, and as soon as we get that IPO 1 I'm going to get it for him....it'll be like his medal. Don't want to get it until then. :-D Thanks for sharing!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.