HGH Club Northeast is offering free herding instinct tests - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default HGH Club Northeast is offering free herding instinct tests

HGH Club Northeast is offering FREE herding instinct tests through October 1st.
The farm is located in Knowlton, NJ, just a few miles off of I-80.

We are currently trying to rebuild our club, and there just hasn't been much interest this year. We aren't sure why, but for the club to continue, we need a few new people to come out and train. Please come out and show your support of tending GSD's! We are one of only 2 places in the US to do this type of training. Many people talk about it - but here's your chance to try it!

Our trainer Geary Loff has been great to work with over the years, he taught Kessy and I more than I ever could have hoped to learn, and we had a great experience at our trial last year. His other students have also done very well and several of their dogs have also been titled. I've also started my young dog Kira, and she's doing very well. I hope to be able to title her next year.

If you live in the area and have any interest in sheepherding - now's the time
GSD's are welcome - as are other tending breeds, such as beaucerons, belgians, briards, etc.

Please check out our website for more information: HGH Club Northeast - Knowlton, NJ
E-mail Geary to set up your instinct test: gjloff@msn.com

Or feel free to PM me with any questions.

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 08-30-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Correct date per request
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

LAUREL and Journey , how about it?

I happen to think that this tending style , so critical to the GSD temperament foundation , needs to be supported , so different from the border-collie herding we see so often.

In the spirit of keeping the club alive and the instincts for this and all the other concommittment drives that are parcelled with tending herding within the GSD alive I am offering my supplements - one set , to each participant that Meghan verifies . In this case GSD only, sorry.

So that is for the moment -- to introduce people and a club needs sustained participation and interest to make it worth while for the talent to take time away from their personal lives .

To this point , of my free will, for the interest in maintaing this clubs future, and for the testing of my progeny , I am making this offer. Anyone who has or gets a future pup from my breeding program and participates regularly , with committment , for a one year period (starting from an appropriate age) and verified by Meghan and club - will get a full refund for that dog.

I don't have this opportunity . I would be in there like a dirty shirt sleeve. I would be as strong and enthusiastic if I had another French ring or Mondio club close by. I have a brilliant little prospect (carmspack x geefacker) that I would love to try this on . Can't do it . Too many obligations hinder travel - no vacations even, so I have to enjoy vicariously.

offer is serious

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What a super opportunity!!!!!!!!! NJ/NY is such a highly populated area and so many Schutzhund clubs - it is hard to believe that this club is languishing for lack of members!! The very basis and foundation of the breed, and one of only 2 clubs in the US!!!!!! Come on NJ / NY people - I would just die to be able to train an HGH dog of my own....I also have to do it vicariously through Meghan.....lets spread the word and get some support for this important part of our breed!

Lee

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Carmen - that means a lot! Thanks SO MUCH for your offer!!! And Lee - I know Kira will make you proud, she is showing so much talent!
to both of you!

If anyone else has ideas about where to advertise, I am all ears. I've had flyers posted at the nearby obedience/agility schools for a while now. I will get some up at pet stores, vet offices, anywhere that will let me. But I think these internet forums are the best place to find people dedicated to their dogs since HGH training is a lot of work!

Spread the word - right now I am the only student training, and it is really a shame. We are a helpful and friendly club, so come on out!

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Meghan we are coming upon fall fair time - why not go out to the farming community , the farm co-ops and tractor stores , go to your local town tourist information service who may want to watch dogs in action as part of their fall weekend- see the colours change trips, local radio, community newspaper, local cable tv. We had to do exactly that kind of "awareness" broadcasting to get the neighbourhood involved in a fight against development , which would , and still may, directly impact us, our property. Results were excellent .
Go to the local cable TV and offer them a preview , your dog working. Dogs and babies -- great press.

Last edited by carmspack; 08-16-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

yea - some posters in Tractor Supply type stores! (do you have those in NJ???) Pet stores, etc.....maybe get some local newspaper to print a story - this is such a rare opportunity for dog owners - 2 clubs in the whole US!!!!!!! Cannot believe that there is so little interest....heck I know people here that drive 3 hours to go herd in OH and have to do ducks etc.....not just with GSDs, but with Rotties and Corgis etc.....can you open it to other breeds??? I know not HGH necessarily - but training fees coming in to pay for sheep food!

Lee

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

I hope you manage to drum a few more interested parties. It sounds like a fantastic opportunity.

We have no HGH training clubs at all in the UK
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

by the way the offer I made is genuine . I don't require that you get a title or an HGH , just honest participation for one year starting from an age where you are not at the sidelines with arms folded watching, at an age when Meghan or the trainer says - all right then let's have a look .
This is a win win . In the end you get a full refund . I benefit because it is another test of my dogs, which unhappily I can not personally participate in because of distance. It allows me to gather information and understanding on the expression of behaviours which I am trying to conserve , herding and all the other linked traits.
Hunt search, prey, ability to control prey drive , that on and off switch, biddability, recognizing and fitting into routine and ordered structures , mental endurance, physical endurance , reliabilty and trustworthiness.

Tracking . This is a trait which I am really concentrating on as it requires independant and co-operative work, decision making , intelligence , can be made useful in so many applications in law enforcement and is a trait over looked , no glamour at the trials . Birch-Bark Hill: UTDX Track for Blast Sunday that is Blast who just had his 3rd BD . He was doing accurate SchH tracks at 4 months. The trait is shared by his ancestors and we are about to see if they are transmitted in a litter his sister may be having .

Explanation -- herding is inhibited prey drive , and herding dogs have hunt drive and guardian ability built into them.
Pretty natural instincts made useful .

Did you know that in the von Stephanitz book which everyone quotes but few have read there are pages of description of the farm dog and the wandering shepherds (tending) dogs behaviours. In one place he describes the dog needing powerful ability for scent disrimination and talks about dogs going out into the fields or across the paths into fellow herders flocks to identify , isolate and bring back sheep that belong to his master's flock. That is amazing.

This goes far beyond the border collie type wild eyed chase in a round pen.

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm very interested in getting Aiden there for his HIT and have always entertained the possibility of herding with him. I live in Albany, NY. How far from here is the club?
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would so be there if I lived closer!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.