HGH Club Northeast is offering free herding instinct tests - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Did you know that in the von Stephanitz book which everyone quotes but few have read there are pages of description of the farm dog and the wandering shepherds (tending) dogs behaviours. In one place he describes the dog needing powerful ability for scent disrimination and talks about dogs going out into the fields or across the paths into fellow herders flocks to identify , isolate and bring back sheep that belong to his master's flock. That is amazing.

This goes far beyond the border collie type wild eyed chase in a round pen.

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
It does and it's something I have no experience with. I wish there were more opportunity. I know schutzhund, i can see how the traits needed for one would easily transfer to the other. i've done a lot of reading and it makes sense. But being able to see dogs work on instinct against large animals in wide open spaces would be very interesting to watch. Probably open up a whole new insight to training for me.

But alas, all we have around here is the chase a lamb or 3 around a pen and call it day herding.
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default herding instinct tests

I wish I lived closer 7 hours one way. I am now training 4/7 days for BH and IPO1 to trial in Oct.

This type of experience would certainly enhance and strengthen her performance on the field. She would love it, this dog is made for working.
I am afraid that if I went down for the instinct test and saw everything going on that the dog and I would be hooked and would want to persue this.

I would need to become a renter.

Laurel
lsatov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think people in this area are just spoiled We have so many dog training places here, why travel?? But this is very different and unique...it's worth a drive!

Our TSC has a bulletin board - but it's in the very back of the store...where few people even see it. But I can travel around to others in the area. There are 5 within an hour and a half, I think. Guess I'll be doing a lot of driving this weekend...LOL

Gatordog - I think we're about 3 hours from Albany. If you are that far away you wouldn't have to come out every week, Geary is usually happy to work with people.

Lee - he will TRY other breeds, but I don't think he wants to advertise for them. He had someone come out with an English Shepherd a few months ago. He was hopeful, the dog looked decent. But then the guy tried to get Geary to take the dog - I guess he was looking for a "working home" for it, not for someone to train with.

I've contacted some local news stations and papers, so we'll see if anything comes of it.

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm definitely interested in doing a HIT. As far as training goes, I would possibly be able to come once or twice a month (I'd have to adjust my budget and let you know ). This sounds like such an amazing opportunity!
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Another option...maybe...would be to carpool if you can find someone else in your area that's interested. For a while we had 2 friends come out from Long Island together, either they took turns driving or paying for gas.

But I think once or twice a month should be enough. If you can make it down for the instinct test I'm sure Geary will be happy to discuss specifics...I am just the messenger

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phgsd View Post
Another option...maybe...would be to carpool if you can find someone else in your area that's interested. For a while we had 2 friends come out from Long Island together, either they took turns driving or paying for gas.

But I think once or twice a month should be enough. If you can make it down for the instinct test I'm sure Geary will be happy to discuss specifics...I am just the messenger
Sounds great! I'll pass the info along to my club and see if anybody else is interested!
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just wanted to thank everyone for their interest - we have 2 tests so far in the works from forum people, and hopefully we can get a few more scheduled.

Of course the instinct test is only the beginning, the important thing is finding people who want to train. But one step at a time!

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
Old 08-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wish I were closer, I have access to an ukc/akc herding instructor, but I would like to do tending.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I encourage everyone who possibly can to take advantage of this fantastic opportunity. The best time I ever had with Stosh was our HIT- it was just amazing to see his natural abilities and I've never seen such a look of pure joy on his face. Just one word of caution...herding is addictive!!!! Don't say I didn't warn you
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Going to be attending this Saturday at 7am. Can't wait!

I don't think I would wake up that early on a weekend for anything but this pup. I'm whipped.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.