Saddle bags for a my dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jazzyj1
Default Saddle bags for a my dog

Can anyone direct me to a site where I can buy saddle bags for Solomon so I can teach him how to bring groceries from the car to the house, He wants a job so bad and I can go bike riding together with him on my side (he can carry his own and my water). I have an idea how to teach him this task but any advice would be deeply appreciated. He is obedience trained off and on leash, however he's rarely on leash. When we go for a walk he naturally sits by my left side without saying "heel" (oh well here I go again yada yada yada) when we walk through the neighborhood no matter if dogs are barking, cats or squirrels running in front of him he will not leave my side and when we get to the park I say "OK" which is his release command then he goes about his business, When his about to do something that I disapprove of I say "Solomon no" off he goes without a moments doubt. Everyday during our walk (1 to 2 miles) we exercise all of his commands such as come,stay,heel,down. I have actually turned my back and walked about 50 meters from him and he sits there and waits until I say "Solomon come". Then and only then he jets right to me and sits. I am very proud of him and I wish I was a dog trainer so I can teach him more, he is so eager to learn and teaching him is so easy. I read a book dog training for dummies, I applied it and now I have a wonderful companion. The only regrets I have is knowing one day he will leave this earth as we all will but it hurts just knowing that Well on a brighter note I will be taking him for his good citizenship award I believe it's called In September any advice on that I will deeply appreciate it also. Ok thanks for reading my boring post on my friend whom I love so much "Solomon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Saddle bags for a my dog

http://www.petguys.com/-700603006030.html

Luca has a backpack like this. Would something like this work?

He uses it to carry things on hikes, or trips to the farmer's market.

You can buy these at many pet supply stores, or lots of web sites. I bought ours on ebay.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...shepherd_4.gif Luca says, "Arf!"
tracyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a Ruffwear Webmaster harness for Kenya and I love the way it fits her, so I got her this new backpack. It's also Ruffwear and is based on the Webmaster harness but has saddle bags. It was $63 and free shipping.

Kenya in the Webmaster harness
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The Ruffwear pack Liesje recommends is an excellent quality pack and I second that recommendation.

I have an article about choosing and fitting dog packs, as well as on training dogs to carry packs on my blog, which you can find here - http://abbyk9.blogspot.com/2008/04/dog-packs-101.html It also has links to quality dog packs at the end.

In my opinion, most of the packs sold at pet stores are low-quality packs that don't fit well and are not designed to carry any kind of serious weight (such as groceries) repeatedly. They're just too flimsy and too badly designed compared to the quality packs sold through specific dog retailers or at hiking / outdoor stores. (Yes, many hiking / outdoor stores carry dog gear.)

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jazzyj1

Thanks guys for your valuable input and it would seem the ruffwear is a much sturdier pack for serious hikers but for now I will try the backpack from petguys. It seems to have a better pouch for groceries, when I get into more serious hiking I will consider the ruffwear. I have read your article on choosing backpacks and it was extremely interesting and enlightening, I will read some more interesting topics that will further my knowledge on different type of equipment and there usefulness, again, thank you
Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LiesjeI have a Ruffwear Webmaster harness for Kenya and I love the way it fits her, so I got her this new backpack. It's also Ruffwear and is based on the Webmaster harness but has saddle bags. It was $63 and free shipping.

Kenya in the Webmaster harness
Can I ask what size you got? The Ruffwear website says to order by girth, but my dog is between sizes Small and Medium. I don't need the extra room in the Medium size panniers, but I'm afraid if I order a Small, because I'm afraid the harness will be too short length-wise.

Since the harness has a handle for lifting your dog over obstacles, I don't want the stomach straps to sit in the wrong spots and hurt her. Kenya's looks like it fits perfectly.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I got Mediums in both. There's room to go both ways on both belly straps, the front/chest straps are all the way tightened on both. She is 60lbs, 21/22". I know someone with a large (but fit) lab/dane mix who got a size Large so I figured that would be way too big. She might even fit into a Small.

We've used the Approach pack a few times now and I REALLY like it. Like Chris said, the store-bought pack I was using before doesn't hold a candle. In fact, we just went to DH's softball game tonight and I had her wearing the pack to carry our wallets, camera, phone, and keys. I'm trying to break it in a little more, but so far so good. The only downfall with packs is that some people assume she is a service dog. When asked I always say no and explain that she is a therapy dog, so they are allowed and encouraged to pet her, but not service dogs (and thank them for asking). I don't have any real plans for the pack other than I thought it looked awesome and I'd like her to be used to it if I ever get back into backpacking. Maybe in the fall and winter I will increase the weight, right now it's too hot for her to even wear it most of the time.

So far, the main things I prefer about the Approach are that the first belly strap loops through the saddle bags, holding them flat against the rib cage. Our cheaper pack had smaller bags, but they flopped around a lot more. Second, I like the Webmaster design that includes TWO belly straps. The straps are thick and padded, so you can fit them tight without having nylon straps digging into the dog's chest. Also, the pack just *seems* made so much better. I've seen a lot of packs in pet stores and this one is thicker, better padding in the right spots, lays flush over the back and around the ribs - everything about it is just....better.

Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Mnemosyne
Can I ask what size you got? The Ruffwear website says to order by girth, but my dog is between sizes Small and Medium. I don't need the extra room in the Medium size panniers, but I'm afraid if I order a Small, because I'm afraid the harness will be too short length-wise.

Since the harness has a handle for lifting your dog over obstacles, I don't want the stomach straps to sit in the wrong spots and hurt her. Kenya's looks like it fits perfectly.
Brenna is about 53-55 lbs and fits in both the small and the medium. I got the small for my beagle but it was too big for her so I got her an XS. The medium fit Brenna fine but was cinched up quite a bit, so I gave it to my mom's 65 lb lab mix. They seem to run on the larger side, and the website says to go small when the dog is between sizes.
Fezzik: Heinz 57 born Aug 2012
Cats: Samuel Adams, Jack Daniels, & Shooter
BrennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think a Small would fit Kenya too, but I like the size of the Medium pack itself. The front straps are all the way tight and I'd like to tighten them more. My aunt and my sister are very handy with sewing so I'd rather have them shorten the straps then get a Small and have the pack itself be too small/too short.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 07-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Oops, I should clarify, I was talking about the harness, I haven't tried a pack from them yet. The front straps were the reason the S was too big on my beagle, her front legs could slip through. That being said, there isn't a huge difference in the size of the S and M.

Here's Brenna in a small:

And a medium:
Fezzik: Heinz 57 born Aug 2012
Cats: Samuel Adams, Jack Daniels, & Shooter
BrennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.