German Shepherds Forum banner

e collar, what should i get?

8K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  David Winners 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

Currently I'm looking to buy a e collar, but i have read that some people prefer Educators and others Dogtra. I have done my research and i narrow it to 2 e collars: Dogtra 1900s or Educator ET-400. Hans is 23kg and he is 8 months old. Any advice? Should i consider another model or brand?

Thank you

#5 ·
I'm surprised your trainer didn't tell you what to buy. I would choose a Dogtra over an Educator. I use 1900s on my dogs...the 280 is a much smaller box and I like the look of it a lot better.

I used my old 1900 to proof recalls for my young dog and based on the highest # I have ever needed he probably could have gotten by with a lower powered unit but I didn't want to risk it since he had had one successful deer chase already. He has had zero game chasing since he started e collar...maybe 6 months ago? I can call him off deer with no stim now.

#9 ·
With the quality brands, at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. How you like the feel of the remote in your hand, ease of adjusting levels and numbers, functionality, customer service. I have used all of the brand mentioned and I am a professional remote collar trainer as my day job, I exclusively use the collar my company sells and that I train pet dogs with every day and it works great for my 3 dogs and me. I use none of the ones mentioned but out of them I prefer dogtra.

#10 ·
The one thing I wish with my current system. I would prefer to have the beep feature rather than the vibrate.
Beep beep then if no recall stim.
Obviously one would have to train this so the dogs understood but I would prefer that.
The vibrate just seems to freak my dogs out so I really can't use that as a warning before the stim. I would have a better chance using the stim as the warning before the vibrate.

#22 ·
I use Dogtra 2300ncp on the advice of a field/hunt trainer I train with. The recharge time is only 2 hours and so far mine has been very consistent unlike some who have said they aren't reliable. Waterproof too. I haven't used mine in several months(retired dog, new dog doesn't need ecollar as of now) But I do keep it charged and ready, it still charges perfectly after 4 years.

#30 ·
My sheepherding instructor recommended the sport garmin she to said it was like the old tri tronics e collar. I am more comfortable with the sport garmin it is easy to use with the 1-10 dial range. I use it mostly now for backup for recall when he is off leash. It is cool has a light mode at night and a no bark collar option. Some model garmin e collars have some sort of tracking devise built in.

#31 ·
One of the things I didn't like about my tri-tronics is the fact it only had five settings. I felt the jumps were too big between numbers. I also prefer the way the dogtra stim feels. If you put them both on yourself and give them a try, you'll feel a huge difference. I'm not saying any of them are bad, just preferences. The way I use them, dogtra's fit me better. I also find zero use for a vibrate function. Some people like them.

#37 ·
I use Dogtra collars. Love the 1900s.

To use vibrate as a recall command:

The dog must recall on command and be proofed.

Super quick tap on vibrate
1/2 second pause
Recall command
Reward

Repeat until dog begins to recall before command.

Slowly increase the duration on the vibrate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.