German Shepherds Forum banner

Long Leash Size

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  MT523 
#1 ·
There are some trails that surround golf courses near me that I want to start taking Halo to. Now that it's winter and there's snow on the ground I'm sure (will check first) I'll be able to take her on the actual course and let her roam. Should I pick up a 33ft leash and just let her have at it? Maybe a 25ft to start?

#4 ·
How old is your dog?
I prefer the check cord because it's less likely to get snagged. If you are holding it, its not the most comfortable. I let my dog drag it and carry it when I need to restrain him. I like it because I can slow him down by stepping on it, increasing friction. Its held up well.

I don't like a long leash for just walking because the handle can snag and if your dog runs and you are holding the handle you or your dog can get hurt. They don't stop as well when you step on them either.

#15 ·
I'm using a long lead to teach various things but when I need the dog close, I just pull it up in 2' lengths and hold it in my right hand when I want it out of the way. I use it when I can't go offlead but want to work at a distance, when I'm working near the street with a lot of cars. I won't take a chance, and we have every strict leash laws.

#16 ·
I have the full range of leash lengths. The bright orange biothane is easy to find if you drop it in a paddock, and other people can see your dog is leashed from a distance.

Be aware with the 30 foot length though. My dog suddenly saw something to chase while on the 30 foot length. I didn't have time to 'reel him in'. With the momentum he built up at full run, it was impossible for me to stop him. I braced for impact but got thrown to the ground. My ecollar remote broke a rib when I landed on it. It wouldn't have happened on a 10 foot length.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.