German Shepherds Forum banner

MCRS training

895 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Castlemaid 
#1 ·
I have a 9 mth old male, working line shepherd that is totally ball driven. He is not only my first male puppy, but also my first working line pup. This is also the first time I have attempted to trial a dog. I am almost 60 yrs old and feel like a complete uncoordinated klutz sometimes when it comes to handling my pup and his ball. I am the only green pea in my group so I need all the help I can get :) Has anyone tried, or is currently using, a magnetic ball system? I just purchased one in hopes that it will help me with a fast reward and heeling issues. Would love to hear any experience with this, good or bad!

#2 ·
Are you talking about IPO? You might have more answers in you posted in the IPO/Schutzhund section, and wrote out what MCRS stands for. I've seen a couple of people use the magnetic balls/tugs in training. I think getting a tug and carrying it under your left armpit works just as well for teaching focus, correct position, and very easy to reward with it there (though you might get a few holes in your shirt or jacket, but that's all part of the fun. :) ).

#5 ·
Double post! But you have your first three post approved now, so your future posts won't need moderation approval (it's a pain for newbies, but it was needed as an anti-spam measure).

I'd suggest you just work with your club, get coaching on how to play with your dog properly, and how and when to reward, how to use the tugs and balls to work your dog in drive - that takes coaching and practice. The results won't come down to whether your tug is under your arm, in your hands, or on a magnet on your vest. If you're not sure about something ask - I spent a lot of time asking people to coach me and give me feedback so I sorta felt like I knew what I was doing - not the most physically self-aware or coordinated person myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.