German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Best/Favorite Clickers (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/481521-best-favorite-clickers.html)

Malachi'sMama 08-20-2014 02:59 AM

Best/Favorite Clickers

For those of you who opt to Clicker Train, I'm curious about your clicker of choice. I've been looking at Gary Wilkes' 'Mega Clicks' Mega Clicks (3-pack) - $13.95 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

For those who have tried many different ones-have you found it really matters besides personal preference??

Pax8 08-20-2014 04:29 AM

I haven't found it to really matter on the dog's end. They pick up click = treat and that's all they need.

That being said, there are plenty of opinions on the human end. Ultimately, I think the basic box clickers are my favorite. Sharp, clear noise, dependable, and cheap if I lose it. :p

I have used the button clickers before: and while I like them, I have had issues before of trying to teach something and closing my hand and accidentally clicking it, or having the dog accidentally shove into me while teaching and clicking it. Some students with longer nails like it because it is easier on their hands. Longer nails tend to get caught in the box clicker.

And then I've used the telescoping target stick clicker for specific work (picking up a certain toy) which can be useful for those specific instances, but ends up being bulky elsewhere.

GatorDog 08-20-2014 05:14 AM

I prefer the box type that my pet supplies plus sells.

lauren43 08-20-2014 06:16 AM

I have to say this is my favorite:

I like the feel of it in my hand. And I prefer the sound it makes (not that that matters to the dogs)...

OP I have the one you posted as well, I just find it a bit on the quiet side...

Malachi'sMama 08-20-2014 07:34 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the input!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax8 (Post 5925393)
That being said, there are plenty of opinions on the human end. Ultimately, I think the basic box clickers are my favorite. Sharp, clear noise, dependable, and cheap if I lose it. :p

This is exactly why I decided to ask you all..I've found myself a bit overwhelmed with the options. Not that it would be an issue to have to repurchase, but it would be nice (and maybe important?!) to use the same clicker(s) from puppyhood to adult. Kinda hoping I can just get it 'right' with my choice the first time rather than risk confusing pup- with a different sounding clicker or too soft clicker- when I find that for whatever reason I don't like it. I don't think that 'sentence' made much sense. lol. I think you get my drift.

Pax, thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. Where do you get these box clickers you prefer? any specific one you recommend?
Gator, I frequent my local Pet Supplies + on a regular basis-do you recall the name/price by chance?

VTGirlT 08-20-2014 07:44 AM

I really like the starmark clickers! I like how it fits in your hand, and that its more of a button you press, it just feels better and i find the clicks are more consistent.

Shade 08-20-2014 07:45 AM

I've used a ton of different types and this is still my favourite

PetSafeŽ Training Clicker | Clicker Training | PetSmart

I like the sound (not annoying) and the finger band is extremely useful. It allows me to keep it in position and ready while feeding treats or using my hands without worrying where it is :)

dogfaeries 08-20-2014 08:43 AM

My favorite is Karen Pryor's i-Click clicker.

lauren43 08-20-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTGirlT (Post 5925577)
I really like the starmark clickers! I like how it fits in your hand, and that its more of a button you press, it just feels better and i find the clicks are more consistent.

http://www.amazon.com/StarMark-Click...ywords=clicker

Yep me too! That's the one I posted.

DJEtzel 08-20-2014 12:56 PM

These clickers are my favorites. Second choice is a box clicker.