Ecollar level comparisons - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Ecollar level comparisons

How do I know which level on einstein corresponds to the 18 levels on garmin

My friend has garmin and I have einstein. Just trying to see what we are using on our dogs and how it compares. She's using a level a trainer told her to and isn't sure where on the scale of 100 it falls.

I'm assuming Garmin 's levels don't go evenly from 1 to 18. It probably goes up gradually from 1 to maybe 10 and then jumps up some

Where in einstein it probably goes from 1 to 100 evenly.

I tried googling this. Didn't find anything.

ETA and since I have my own thread, here are the questions from the other thread

'few questions. what's the point of 100 levels? it's nice to have the first 20 to find the low working level but after that I think 10 levels would do. is there really a difference between 42 and 43 or 76 and 77? I'm sure there's a slight difference in stim but what's a scenario where you'd choose 76 over 77? I find myself just picking numbers around 30 for emergencies (never went higher)

I'm just starting out, have some patience if you're going to explain

and another. I asked this in another thread but didn't get an answer. how do people know the stim isn't consistent and what does that mean? it stims sometimes and doesn't other times? or the levels aren't consistent?
if it's the levels then how do you find that out'

Last edited by lalachka; 08-10-2014 at 12:16 PM.
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

That's a tough one. You would just have to test them on yourself and feel the difference between the different collar makers. The difference from level to level between the collars could also be different. I would think you would need a scientific established scale for stim levels to be fair I would think. I don't know of one.

As for the inconsistence, they answered it, you would have to test it on yourself. That's the only way other than maybe hooking it to a meter to see the inconsistencies. But I think most times, they probably notice the dog not reacting to the collar when it's on the same level as usual and then they take the collar off and test it on themselves. At times, it may also be that the collar is too loose. When a dog put's their nose to the ground, the collar will become loose and they won't feel the stim. Another thing that happens is, the dog will flex their neck when you're putting the collar on them. Then they relax their neck and then you have a loose collar not working properly. I have to let my dog do his stretching when let out of the kennel before I put his collar on. I've seen this plenty of times.
jafo220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Subjective way to find out is to use them on your arm and develop a "feeling" of the different stim levels.

Objective way is to connect to an oscilloscope and plot the waveform.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I test mine on myself before putting it on my dog every single time. The stims are inconsistent. Sometimes I can feel it on 10 and sometimes not until 13. It's not a huge deal I just adjust accordingly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
E.Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I didn't realize people actually test them every time. This answers my question.

So no way to know what 12 on garmin corresponds to on einstein?
Old 08-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo220 View Post
That's a tough one. You would just have to test them on yourself and feel the difference between the different collar makers. The difference from level to level between the collars could also be different. I would think you would need a scientific established scale for stim levels to be fair I would think. I don't know of one.

As for the inconsistence, they answered it, you would have to test it on yourself. That's the only way other than maybe hooking it to a meter to see the inconsistencies. But I think most times, they probably notice the dog not reacting to the collar when it's on the same level as usual and then they take the collar off and test it on themselves. At times, it may also be that the collar is too loose. When a dog put's their nose to the ground, the collar will become loose and they won't feel the stim. Another thing that happens is, the dog will flex their neck when you're putting the collar on them. Then they relax their neck and then you have a loose collar not working properly. I have to let my dog do his stretching when let out of the kennel before I put his collar on. I've seen this plenty of times.
And yes, I've noticed my dog responding to a level one time and not another but I wrote it off to him being more worked up or more distracted
Old 08-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
How do I know which level on einstein corresponds to the 18 levels on garmin

My friend has garmin and I have einstein. Just trying to see what we are using on our dogs and how it compares. She's using a level a trainer told her to and isn't sure where on the scale of 100 it falls.

I'm assuming Garmin 's levels don't go evenly from 1 to 18. It probably goes up gradually from 1 to maybe 10 and then jumps up some

Where in einstein it probably goes from 1 to 100 evenly.

I tried googling this. Didn't find anything.

ETA and since I have my own thread, here are the questions from the other thread

'few questions. what's the point of 100 levels? it's nice to have the first 20 to find the low working level but after that I think 10 levels would do. is there really a difference between 42 and 43 or 76 and 77? I'm sure there's a slight difference in stim but what's a scenario where you'd choose 76 over 77? I find myself just picking numbers around 30 for emergencies (never went higher)

I'm just starting out, have some patience if you're going to explain

and another. I asked this in another thread but didn't get an answer. how do people know the stim isn't consistent and what does that mean? it stims sometimes and doesn't other times? or the levels aren't consistent?
if it's the levels then how do you find that out'
Well, bluntly Lala, who cares how they correspond? Its the dogs perception that matters, and I doubt they'd have a preference, or if they did, it would probably be "Take that stupid thing off and quit nagging me" Lol.

Why they have that many levels going so much higher then 20 is self explanatory. They don't put that much power on a collar for it to never be used. Nothing but low stim, I think comes down to two things. Forum myth and a complete waste. I heard a good comment once about it. "Hey, I'm not Bart Bellon. I use the collar so that I don't have to use the collar" There are plenty of cases where once on 127 is going to be better then constant stimming at 20.

Consistency on the dog, on the premise that the stim itself is always the same, everything the dog is doing and everything going on around him is going to effect how he is perceiving the stim.

There's a lot of good stuff about ecollars, but I wouldnt want to be too dependent on it.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Well, bluntly Lala, who cares how they correspond? Its the dogs perception that matters, and I doubt they'd have a preference, or if they did, it would probably be "Take that stupid thing off and quit nagging me" Lol.

Why they have that many levels going so much higher then 20 is self explanatory. They don't put that much power on a collar for it to never be used. Nothing but low stim, I think comes down to two things. Forum myth and a complete waste. I heard a good comment once about it. "Hey, I'm not Bart Bellon. I use the collar so that I don't have to use the collar" There are plenty of cases where once on 127 is going to be better then constant stimming at 20.

Consistency on the dog, on the premise that the stim itself is always the same, everything the dog is doing and everything going on around him is going to effect how he is perceiving the stim.

There's a lot of good stuff about ecollars, but I wouldnt want to be too dependent on it.
I'm just curious the level she's using It at in comparison to mine.

About the levels. I'm not questioning the existence of levels above 20. I know why they're there and I know one good stim will sometimes eliminate the need for 10 low stims

I'm wondering why there are so many levels after 20 or 30. I understand the need to fine tune the lower levels to find the working level.

But once you're past 30, does it really matter if you're using 76 over 77?

I guess I'm saying that after 30 it'd be fine if there was 31 (which is 40), 32 (50), 33 (60) and so on.

In which case would you use 76 and not 77?
Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

76 to 77, no. That because of the type of dials they have. I managed to get what I wanted using a Tritronics sport 50 and 5 settings just as easily as my Dogtra 1900 with 127.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

lol ok then. I was just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.