German Shepherds Forum banner

Bite pillow and wedges for puppies

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  eddie1976E 
#1 ·
What is the general consensus on bite pillows and wedge for puppies under 12 months? Are these "toys" not appropriate for young dogs? I know the concern about teething, so taking that out of the equation, are these toys a good idea?

Thanks

#4 ·
So you are looking for tug toys?

I use whatever my dogs/pups like to tug with and that stand up to the tugging. So never had an age qualifier to the tug. If they used it, and it lasted, that was a tug toy for me!

#5 ·
My shutz trainer started with a leather rag, then a soft jute thing, then one day she was biting the same sleeve as big dogs. The main thing is the dogs drive, if he likes biting it then its ok, or you can use it later. Its easier to get puppies to bite soft stuff- feels like an animal.

#6 ·
I don't really consider the bite pillow or wedge a 'toy' but something to help develop the grips and target when the dog launches or when doing blind searches.

If you are using it as a reward for obedience, it is going to be much more bulky than a ball on string or a tug. And much,much more expensive.

#9 ·
Thanks. My puppy is teething now, so I will not be playing with any tugs or bite equipment. I would like to eventually do some PP with him, so I will pick up a wedge at some point to help with grip/targeting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.