HELP! Prong collar not enough~ * - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP! Prong collar not enough~ *

I'm new to this site- My 12 mo. working male can pull me down OR pull leash out of my hand if he sees a rabbit/ cat whilst walking. He's neutered, he's slender, + has had puppy obedience + teen obedience classes.

He wears a prong collar, fitted by obedience teacher [that was mos. ago]. I have newly developed hand arthritis, which is the absolute pits, + need to really have a hold on this dog. HELP + bless you for writing me back!
Mamie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Was the prong effective when you were under the guidance of the trainer?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default HELP! Prong collar not enough~ *

IMO dogs can pull on the prong. Constant pressure on the prong is something they can get used to. Jerking it is what they feel.

When he starts to pull, jerk and turn and keep doing that.
This is not the best way to use it, but an emergency fix since you have bad hands.

The best way to use it is to lightly pop the prong BEFORE there's tension on it. So you're trying to make sure your leash is always loose. It's tedious and takes lots of work.

Or, another, easier way of doing it, practice walking on a field. Walk one way, he gets a little ahead or too far abruptly change direction and walk the other way (some trainers say to jerk the leash before the turn)

The idea is to show the dog that near you is the safe spot. He gets too far away - and gets corrected.

Good luck, it's a pain, I'm still dealing with it. It's not that hard on its own, just hard to be consistent. Once you start doing this yu can NEVER let him pull. And if you live in the city (like I do) and have to walk places and sometimes can't take two hours to walk 2 blocks - it gets complicated.

ETA correction, the best way to use it is to teach leash pressure. To teach them to give in to pressure as opposed to fight it. Second best is light pops and the most stressful (as I've been told) are the pops and turns

Last edited by lalachka; 06-28-2014 at 11:56 AM.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes. He was about 9 months then. I wonder if I need to get one of those leerburg "skinny" collars that fit up under the jaw.. but, to correct w/ those, one snaps the leash straight up. I'm in a reactionary millisecond when he spots the critter to pull from the side, as I'm trying to [not fall] and keep my dog by my side. He's so bloody strong. Thank you, BTW, for writing me back!
Old 06-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamie View Post
Yes. He was about 9 months then. I wonder if I need to get one of those leerburg "skinny" collars that fit up under the jaw.. but, to correct w/ those, one snaps the leash straight up. I'm in a reactionary millisecond when he spots the critter to pull from the side, as I'm trying to [not fall] and keep my dog by my side. He's so bloody strong. Thank you, BTW, for writing me back!

Dominant collar? That's used very rarely and not for pulling. And it's much easier to control a dog on a prong than a dominant collar. In my experience
Old 06-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks, L. I know to turn when he pulls; When he sees a cat or bunny, often it's before I do, and there's an explosion on the leash as if a Rocket was tied to me. It's as if a racehorse was tied to me.. we're out in the country. I'm wondering if 2 prong collars would help?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You're welcome

What I'm thinking is a few more sessions with the trainer, since it was working back then. If your hand is in pain already then you probably shouldn't be using it for the corrections anyhow. Another thing that works is the "leash wrap" where you wrap the leash around the torso, loop it through, and then up. There's a thread on it here somewhere - that's how I heard about it - and it works very well for pups that will pull through a prong.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Thanks, L. I know to turn when he pulls; When he sees a cat or bunny, often it's before I do, and there's an explosion on the leash as if a Rocket was tied to me. It's as if a racehorse was tied to me.. we're out in the country. I'm wondering if 2 prong collars would help?

Yeah, I forgot to mention. I'm also watching everything around me to notice his triggers.

Nope, 2 prongs won't help. Also, this is not a popular advice but works for me. Get the micro prong.

Or, leerburg suggests sharpening every second or third prong which is basically same as getting a micro prong.

These are not the best solutions but your dog getting loose or dragging you are not good options either. Sometimes have to do what you need to.

Once you got it under control train him to walk properly and ignore critters
Old 06-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm new to this site- My 12 mo. working male can pull me down OR pull leash out of my hand if he sees a rabbit/ cat whilst walking. He's neutered, he's slender, + has had puppy obedience + teen obedience classes.

He wears a prong collar, fitted by obedience teacher [that was mos. ago]. I have newly developed hand arthritis, which is the absolute pits, + need to really have a hold on this dog. HELP + bless you for writing me back!
I use an easy walk harness on my biggest fella. He was a very bad for pulling on the lead and this harness has worked wonders.

I am not a fan of the prong collars as the dog gets used to the feeling after a while and then begin pulling all over again. The easy walk harness causes the dog to be pulled towards you when he pulls forward.

Its worked wonders with my boy!
Axel13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The first post in this thread has a great picture of the leash wrap, if my description didn't make sense:

Improvement on Leash - thanks to Kari - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

I personally wouldn't bother with smaller prongs or sharpening them (hmmm) because the whole problem, IMO, is that you're actually unable to issue proper corrections with your painful hand - that's why I think the trainer is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.