German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   To Collar or Not To Collar (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/456954-collar-not-collar.html)

FelixTheGSD 06-04-2014 10:02 AM

To Collar or Not To Collar
 
There is a big controversy in general about collaring dogs - when and what types, etc. In my opinion, unless the dog needs a different collar as a training aid:

-Should be "naked" if they are contained (in the house, in a crate, dog run, etc.)
-Should only be collared if going to an open area or in public where they might run off.
-(This one is just my preference) Should use a harness for actually walking them on leash, but have the collar on for identification when walking and in public. (This is the harness I use - it is a martingale harness! Super wonderful in my opinion. Freedom No-Pull Harness)
What are ya'lls opinion on collaring? To collar or not to collar? :D

Shade 06-04-2014 10:17 AM

My dogs only wear their collars when off the property or actively training.

I use a harness for my poodle. For my GSD I use a flat collar, Halti, and prong. I use what I get the best results with

JMO

FelixTheGSD 06-04-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5599690)
My dogs only wear their collars when off the property or actively training.

I use a harness for my poodle. For my GSD I use a flat collar, Halti, and prong. I use what I get the best results with

JMO

I agree with that :D

Also, I mean to ask, do you guys think its less of a danger to keep a collar on a puppy if he's an only-dog? I have a nylon flat collar for training, but I would rather have something like a breakaway or rolled leather for tag usage. Do you guys think the flat collar would be okay on 24/7 if he's the only dog? We just want to be careful :) I would definitely take it off when he's in the crate or dog run though, since they are securely latched.

shepherdmom 06-04-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FelixTheGSD (Post 5599610)
There is a big controversy in general about collaring dogs - when and what types, etc. In my opinion, unless the dog needs a different collar as a training aid:

-Should be "naked" if they are contained (in the house, in a crate, dog run, etc.)
-Should only be collared if going to an open area or in public where they might run off.
-(This one is just my preference) Should use a harness for actually walking them on leash, but have the collar on for identification when walking and in public. (This is the harness I use - it is a martingale harness! Super wonderful in my opinion. Freedom No-Pull Harness)
What are ya'lls opinion on collaring? To collar or not to collar? :D

There is already another thread on this same subject, why start a new one?

What are your qualifications?

For 30 years my dogs have worn collars with tags 24-7. Not once have I had a problem. That doesn't mean that might not some day have a problem. However at this point the risk seem to be extremely low. In that same 30 years I've had a couple of dogs escape at different times (one dug under the fence, one broke open a gate latch). Those dog got home to me because of their collars and tags. For me the benefits are greater than the risks.

I help with rescue. So many beautiful obviously cared for dogs I see wind up there because someone hasn't bothered to put a collar with tags on them. So sad.

FelixTheGSD 06-04-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5599706)
There is already another thread on this same subject, why start a new one?

What are your qualifications?

For 30 years my dogs have worn collars with tags 24-7. Not once have I had a problem. That doesn't mean that might not some day have a problem. However at this point the risk seem to be extremely low. In that same 30 years I've had a couple of dogs escape at different times (one dug under the fence, one broke open a gate latch). Those dog got home to me because of their collars and tags. For me the benefits are greater than the risks.

I help with rescue. So many beautiful obviously cared for dogs I see wind up there because someone hasn't bothered to put a collar with tags on them. So sad.

I just wanted to get my questions answered in one area for my future reference :)

Again, I'm just planning for my puppy to be home in a few weeks, and this is just my tenative plan. I think tags on 24-7 is a good idea, except for in the crate or dog run, securely closed. Just weighing benefits and risks, like you said:D

ApselBear 06-04-2014 10:35 AM

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post4962058

jafo220 06-04-2014 10:38 AM

There are other methods of identification besides tags. Chipping comes to mind as well as tattooing. Tattooing would be a bit extreme but it does happen. Chipping the dog is not a bad option.

Whether you keep your dog collared or not, I think it depends on the situation of how the dog is being handled and where they are kept, kennel, outdoors loose or kenneled outdoors etc. I don't think there is a silver bullet answer. Inside kennel absolutely no collars in the kennel period. Outside they should be ok. Maybe a break away collar in an outside kennel if they even make those for dogs. All it takes is a dog getting a collar snagged and it's not going to end well, been there seen that on a personal experience. Be careful with collars and kennels.


As far as walking, I don't think a harness is necessary if the dog has been trained properly to either heel or loose leash walk beside you. A collar will work just fine.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

FelixTheGSD 06-04-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jafo220 (Post 5599794)
As far as walking, I don't think a harness is necessary if the dog has been trained properly to either heel or loose leash walk beside you. A collar will work just fine.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Yup, the harness is just for training! For teaching to heel. (Plus I am on the side of it taking stress off the neck)

And Apsel, I'm planning to only use the harness when walking, and have him off leash (therefore having the collar on too) if we are doing any running or stuff like that. Helpful thread tho!

shepherdmom 06-04-2014 11:07 AM

Yes there are other methods than tags but none work as well. My dogs are microchipped too. Us dog people scan for microchips but joe blow not so much. Microchips are often not registered or the info is not current. A collar and tag tells everyone hey I have a home and someone is missing me.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

martemchik 06-04-2014 11:44 AM

Harness won't help you train anything. Sorry, I've dealt with people that think harness is the way to go, and it takes them twice as long to teach the dog anything.

Pressure on the neck? If a flat, prong, martingale, do any damage to your dogs neck...its YOUR fault, not the collars. If your reason for avoiding a collar is so that you don't hurt your dog with it, that's fine, but IMO a collar won't hurt a dog. I've got an 85lbs male, if you think you can control that dog on a harness...good luck. At least with a collar I can redirect his head, give an actual correction. With a harness, either he drags me around, or I have to plant myself in one spot to make sure he doesn't get to whatever he wants (bite work).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2