German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Choke or Prong for my pup (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/455138-choke-prong-my-pup.html)

tjpearse 05-29-2014 08:57 AM

Choke or Prong for my pup

Hugo is now 6 months old and pulls like no other. He is getting better with loose leash from training constantly. However, that goes out the window as soon as a bird or other animal is around. Also, if a group of people are walking in front of me, he pulls to catch up with them.

I was wondering if I should get him a choke collar. I have a prong that I've used once or twice and it is a miracle worker with him. He never left my side the entire walk and it was almost a three mile walk. I'm also not too sure if he is still too young to use a prong, so I haven't been using it much. My neighbor a couple doors down is a K9 police officer and his GSD is just amazing. He told me that I should use a choke because the prong is only for bad case dogs. It seems like the choke wouldn't be nearly as effective as a prong. Plus the choke seems like it might be tough to snap him out of prey drive around distractions. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

Shade 05-29-2014 09:00 AM

Go with the prong, must less chance of a neck injury and more effective in most cases.

Keep going with the training as well :)

blackshep 05-29-2014 09:01 AM

I agree with Shade :)

Skywalkers Mom 05-29-2014 09:07 AM

Well I believe neither. We have had numerous dogs over the years and never used choke collars. My parents had great danes and used prong ones a few times but to them it seemed cruel. I bought a Gentle leader for my overly agressive Husky mix. She passed and when I got my GSD, he was adopted from rescue, I use it on him. Its extremely effective without any cruelty. Now he did have aggresive behaviors so also bought a soft muzzle they work also. Good luck.

LaRen616 05-29-2014 09:07 AM

I agree with Shade too.

Prong collar and continue training.

I will never use a choke chain.

Using prong collars the correct way is not cruelty.

LoveEcho 05-29-2014 09:17 AM

Agree with Shade. Prongs, if used properly, are not even remotely cruel and are much safer and more effective than choke chains. They're a tool, and shouldn't necessarily be a permanent solution. I have a 7 month old female who is VERY strong, and I used a prong for a couple of weeks to aid with training (rather than as a crutch) and now no longer need to.

onyx'girl 05-29-2014 09:17 AM

Gentle leaders can be hard on the muzzle, and the neck because the dog is jerked if self correcting. I'd much rather use a prong over a GL.

tjpearse 05-29-2014 09:19 AM

I tried the Gentle Leader and didn't like it. I gave him a high reward for touching the collar with his nose. Then, moved to high reward for wearing it. Same with the leash attached. But, when we walked he would absolutely freak out when it pulled him to the side, when he pulled. Then, he would lay down and roll around trying to get it off. He wouldn't move no matter how hard I tried. Plus, the main reason I stopped using it was because it was removing hair around the area. When I tried the prong, he whimpered the first pull. That made me start to regret my decision using it, but after that he never pulled again.

LoveEcho 05-29-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjpearse (Post 5578114)
I tried the Gentle Leader and didn't like it. I gave him a high reward for touching the collar with his nose. Then, moved to high reward for wearing it. Same with the leash attached. But, when we walked he would absolutely freak out when it pulled him to the side, when he pulled. Then, he would lay down and roll around trying to get it off. He wouldn't move no matter how hard I tried. Plus, the main reason I stopped using it was because it was removing hair around the area. When I tried the prong, he whimpered the first pull. That made me start to regret my decision using it, but after that he never pulled again.

It's not a pain reaction, it's a surprise reaction. Put it around your thigh and give it a good yank (a yank you'd never use on your dog), and you'd be amazed that it doesn't hurt, at all. When I first used one I was reticent to do so, and my trainer made me "use" it on myself. I have a low pain threshold and it didn't hurt. And, you don't have a nice thick layer of fur. It applies pressure uniformly around the neck, so it can startle dogs the first time they self-correct with it.

tjpearse 05-29-2014 09:21 AM

Thanks everyone. This advice is very helpful.