Choke or Prong for my pup - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Prong but find a good trainer to show you the proper way to fit and to correct with this awesome tool. Used properly it is a great tool to have in your arsenal but don't rely on it solely.
It is a great tool to teach the basics but I always try to wean my dogs off of it and return to a flat collar. But there are times when they need a refresher coarse and I bring it out again. Good luck!!
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Make sure you get the prong with the rounded prongs that are smooth!

Also this is how to properly use/fit the prong collar.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalkers Mom View Post
Well I believe neither. We have had numerous dogs over the years and never used choke collars. My parents had great danes and used prong ones a few times but to them it seemed cruel. I bought a Gentle leader for my overly agressive Husky mix. She passed and when I got my GSD, he was adopted from rescue, I use it on him. Its extremely effective without any cruelty. Now he did have aggresive behaviors so also bought a soft muzzle they work also. Good luck.
GL's cause a lot of neck and eye injuries.

I had one for my dog, it rubbed the fur off her nose and was irritating her eyes. My vet says she sees that a lot, plus neck injuries.

Prongs are actually far safer, and as a bonus, my dog is much happier wearing her prong than her GL.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpearse View Post
Hugo is now 6 months old and pulls like no other. He is getting better with loose leash from training constantly. However, that goes out the window as soon as a bird or other animal is around. Also, if a group of people are walking in front of me, he pulls to catch up with them.

I was wondering if I should get him a choke collar. I have a prong that I've used once or twice and it is a miracle worker with him. He never left my side the entire walk and it was almost a three mile walk. I'm also not too sure if he is still too young to use a prong, so I haven't been using it much. My neighbor a couple doors down is a K9 police officer and his GSD is just amazing. He told me that I should use a choke because the prong is only for bad case dogs. It seems like the choke wouldn't be nearly as effective as a prong. Plus the choke seems like it might be tough to snap him out of prey drive around distractions. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

^^^This is your answer. Prong
Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default we are using prong right now

My dog is just over a year old and is crazy strong. We have been going clicker training on loose leash walking. Which he was doing well with on all things, but walking. He would be fine and then yang my arm off trying to change directions to go to the park, or go sniff another dog. Sometimes he would just want to go down a certain street for no apparent reason and it was very tough to hold him back. No amount of clicking and yummy treats seems to stop this or help him figure it out. We never had this issue with our previous dog.

I first tried a martingale collar because it seems less intense, but like the choke collars, it just seemed he would be in a permanent weezing choke for blocks and blocks as he pulled. I was starting to dread walking him and I really love walking and exploring neighborhoods.

My brother swears by his prong for his boxer, so I broke down an bought one. Walking is now a pleasure, we stays by my side or in acceptable loose leash-ness. I've been using the clicker and treats too in the hope that we won't always have to rely on the prong collar.

My main objection to the prong, besides the 2 collars issue, is that non-dog people interpret the aggressive look of the prong collar to mean your dog is mean and out of control. With a mostly black GSD male, we don't need anything else going on that contributes to people being scared of him.
Oliver'smom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

put a scarf over your dogs neck, the judgemental's won't be able to see what's under there.
And seeing a well behaved obedient dog regardless of the color or breed should not intimidate anyone.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They also make really great covers that make them look like martingale collars (and spruce them up a bit )
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

My husband bought me a black prong..... Best gift ever I must say. (Second to my shepherd of course). You can't even see it on her! It's wonderful

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
Make sure you get the prong with the rounded prongs that are smooth!

Also this is how to properly use/fit the prong collar.

This is a myth. If you're using it properly it can hang a little lower. It doesn't have to be super tight to where it doesn't slide.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

That is interesting Baillif. My trainer has trained a lot with Ivan B (has two Ot vitosha mals) and says the same thing. Not that Ivan necessarily has anything to do with it; I was just thinking that you and my trainer are of similar approach to training.

Hey, when you getting your puppy anyway?

P.S. OP I have a Herm Sprenger Black prong and it is awesome. Who cares what others say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.