German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Prong Collar (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/450801-prong-collar.html)

SummerGSDLover 05-16-2014 01:04 PM

Prong Collar

I know how to correctly fit a long on my dog. He's between links where if I take one off, its too tight. but if I leave the extra link on, it slips down - which is not where it should be. what do you do when your dog is between links?

*-*Summer*-*

Baillif 05-16-2014 01:07 PM

Leave the extra link on. You don't need it super tight for it to be effective. The less experienced you are with prong collars the less tight you want to be. Super tight and high on the neck it's very easy to go overboard when correcting a dog.

Chip18 05-16-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5526113)
Leave the extra link on. You don't need it super tight for it to be effective. The less experienced you are with prong collars the less tight you want to be. Super tight and high on the neck it's very easy to go overboard when correcting a dog.

Uh oh, sadly I can say "been there done that, got it wrong!":blush:

scarfish 05-16-2014 01:26 PM

i lose the extra link.

guess i'm a dog abuser. it has to stay tight enough to stay high on the neck. if taking a link out makes it drop, put the link back. it's not rocket surgery.

Cara Fusinato 05-16-2014 01:31 PM

Feed the dog a bit extra so it fills in the space! Just kidding. Conversely, diet the dog a bit to fit the tighter. Just kidding. My dog is the same way. I went with looser rather than tighter.

DaniFani 05-16-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5526169)
i lose the extra link.

guess i'm a dog abuser. it has to stay tight enough to stay high on the neck. if taking a link out makes it drop, put the link back. it's not rocket surgery.

I've always wanted to be a rocket surgeon who does brain science on the side. ;-)

SummerGSDLover 05-17-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5526113)

I generally don't need to correct him when the collar has the link off when it's tighter. I'm just struggling with it because when the link is on and it's looser, I have to keep pulling it up. I tried pulling his nylon collar a little tighter (the one with his tags) so it would support the prong higher on the neck but that didn't work either, just got in the way. I think I'll just leave the extra link on for now until he grows into it better. He's still filling out so it will fit right eventually. I wonder if there's a way to buy something that would act as a shorter link (maybe a piece of chain or something) but Id worry it might fall off or something.
Thanks for the response.

*-*Summer*-*

SummerGSDLover 05-17-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cara Fusinato (Post 5526185)
Feed the dog a bit extra so it fills in the space! Just kidding. Conversely, diet the dog a bit to fit the tighter. Just kidding. My dog is the same way. I went with looser rather than tighter.

LOL! Okay, high fat then. Maybe his new neck rolls will hold it in place. Haha!

*-*Summer*-*

SummerGSDLover 05-17-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5526169)
i lose the extra link.

mmmm. Well I know you're not a dog abuser. However, the links are roughly an inch and a half long. do you think if I removed the link, it would choke him? I don't know what to do anymore.

*-*Summer*-*

Justin0406 06-19-2014 02:58 PM

My dog get very excited when he sees the prong collar. He knows it's go off time. I vowed the last time I took him off without the collar to never do it again. He pulls when he goes out with only the leather collar. He's very orderly with the prong.