German Shepherds Forum banner

Herm Sprenger Collar Questions: Neck Tech & Fur Saver. What makes them good?

7K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Mishka&Milo 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm currently using this prong collar: http://petvalu.com/product/46930/prong-training-collar-hamilton

It has 3.8mm. I feel like these might be a little to big. I bought this one because it was the only one that my local pet store had in stock. I also use a 3mm choke chain as a "safety" if the prong ever breaks while we're on a walk.
The improvement is massive, but he doesn't respond to corrections as much as I'd expect/like. I'm also fairly certain that the collar is properly fitted. It doesn't twist around, unless I make a bunch of corrections from the side, then my pulling twists it around a tiny bit.

My question is this: What makes Herm Sprenger prong collars so good? You you referring to the Neck Tech design or the standard prong collar?

I like how some of the prong collars have that middle piece that creates a bit of a gap around the dog's trachea. The one I'm currently using doesn't have this.

Also, are the Fur Saver choke chains really any different from a normal choke chain?

What size prongs should I be looking for?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have HS fur savers, prongs, and neck techs. Their stainless must be 316 because it does not even pit with repeated salt water exposure. The neck tech is very strong... Not coming apart without pliers. I use neck techs for agitation work.

#3 · (Edited)
Its the name brand, some others may be as good. The main difference is in quality control, some have links that fall apart easy, or sharp corners, or cheap plating. The necktech is easier on the dog, the prongs are short. I think the small prong collars are more painful and the big ones less, so it depends on the dog which one is better.

#4 ·
Its the name brand, some others may be as good. The main difference is in quality control, some have links that fall apart easy, or sharp corners, or cheap plating. The necktech is easier on the dog, the prongs are short.
Is the Neck Tech line supposed to serve as a milder alternative to the prong collar? I was under the impression that they would be more harsh than prongs.

#5 ·
I don't like the neck tech. It makes noise as the links sort of clank ogether. Perhaps getting the material piece to cover it would be helpful which I didn't. I also didn't feel it was as effective as regular prong and my dog has a short coat.

#10 ·
I like the smooth rounded tips on the HS as well as the flat plate which makes putting it on and taking it off so much easier. The bi-directional prongs with the plate in the middle...that is NOT the neck tech but the new design. I remember reading that as for some purpose?

#11 ·
The bi-directional prongs keep the collar from rotating.

t seems like there is some negative opinion about the neck-tech collars. Does anyone have first hand experience that they would like to share, other than "they suck?"

Thanks

#13 ·
Yeah. The prong aren't as long so you need more force to give the same correction with a regular prong. The neck tech just isn't made very well for a dog with lots of hair like a German Shepherd.

On top of that the width of the collar is more narrow than a regular prong or even most regular flat collars. This leads to a dog basically choking itself if it's pulling. Way too narrow for my dogs neck. It's like a rope. Once you put it on it basically disappears around the dogs neck. That's why you don't see very many examples of it on a gsds neck in Google images. It's always around necks of dogs with no hair so they can see the neck tech.

A regular prong is much more effective. I'd say you have to give around twice the force to get the same correction from the neck tech. They do look nice and could work for a softer dog but for a hard dog or one that's in drive then no way!

#12 ·
#17 ·
I think the medium is typically the best size the 3.25 millimeters I believe....... The small apparently gives a harsher correction but it can be hard to get through thick neck hair. Then links on the first saver are too long to make it really effective as a correction tool ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.