E Collar for my 5 month old? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question E Collar for my 5 month old?

I have been wanting to allow my puppy (5 months old) some more freedom when I take him places like the dog friendly barn where I board my horse or open fields and off leash hiking trails. I feel bad that he always has to be on a leash as I don't currently have a yard. He sticks with me reliably when I have the long line on him… that is... until he sees an animal or person and that all goes out the window (LOVES meeting people… also high prey drive with cats/wild animals)! lol So I was kinda thinking about if an e-collar could be good for this purpose, just as a safety net type thing for recall so I could allow him more freedom.

I am not interested at all in using it for training or long term... I don't want to use it as a fix for any behavior problems… I would work on his recall, obedience, leash walking etc. without the e collar as usual. I just feel like right now it would improve his quality of life if he was allowed some off leash playtime, and thats the only way I can see that maybe happening in the near future.

So just wanted to hear what you all think… Is this a good or bad idea? Is he too young for it?
lokimonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd recommend you check out Lou Castle's site, Home
Too easy to mess up your dog if used incorrectly, learn its proper use as a training tool before putting one on your dog. Look for trainers locally well versed in proper use, lots of crappy trainers so choose carefully.

Last edited by Nigel; 05-10-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well you may not have exhausted all options.

New Dog, Very Challenging

Post 8 has some links that you might find useful, The E collar is not a tool to just strap on a dog and go at it! Takes skill and training, not my choice, till I find a "real" problem with a dog!

Pack aggression and Dog escaping yard are my "Red Zones" other that time time patience and figuring out what "I" am doing wrong is the way I work it.

Education is always the key find a trainer if your going that route
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

You want to work on his recall without the collar and then suddenly put it on when you go out? You expect him to understand that a zap means come to you?

If you're going to use the ecollar then I'd use it to teach the recall.

Either way if you expect a 5 month pup to always be close to you and listen out in the real world with all sorts of distractions then Imo you are setting the pup up to fail. No way a 5 month pup is anywhere close to being good off leash. You're just going to end up stimming the dog.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your responses! Just to clarify… I was definitely NOT thinking of just slapping it on and zapping him! I have been reading on Lou Castles site the last couple days, and I think I like his way of teaching it. Of course I would spend plenty of time training my pup recall with the collar from the ground up to understand it and then once he understands I would only ever want to use it as a recall safety net. And if I ended up having to actually use it often, I would stop using it. I don't want to be always stimming him.

My purpose for getting an ecollar would be just for when I go to the stables where I keep my horse where he would have a lot of room to run and sniff around, and also on some off leash trails where I never see people/dogs. In both places when I let his leash drag and he is for the most part pretty glued to me. (He doesn't like me to be out of his sight… I wouldn't say he has separation anxiety, but he definitely is a velcro dog when I take him out places) So I don't think i would be needing to correct him much unless he goes after a rabbit or deer, in which case he kinda forgets about anything else.

Anyways, I am wary of e collars, and I really don't know if i want to go that route. Im just researching and was kind of wondering what people here thought about it. I appreciate any advice, info, or helpful articles!
lokimonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A bit older thread on superstition, but something folks new to e collars may not be aware of. There's some bickering, but also some good info too.

Superstitious behavior - e-collar
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Personally, I think 5 months is way too young for an ecollar. I'd highly recommend putting in more time and effort reinforcing your dog for coming to you vs blowing you off for other people or animals. Once your pup is older, an ecollar might make more sense, but right now, too young.
The birds: Dante - CAG / Nero and Sunshine - Budgies
e.rigby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.rigby View Post
Personally, I think 5 months is way too young for an ecollar. I'd highly recommend putting in more time and effort reinforcing your dog for coming to you vs blowing you off for other people or animals. Once your pup is older, an ecollar might make more sense, but right now, too young.
I agree with this too.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd do it
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I'd do if it you're using it as a back up but you better make darn sure he knows the reason he's getting stimmed. If he's far from you and he gets stimmed he can develop all kinds of superstitious behavior (like getting close to a horse gets me shocked)
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.