My dad thinks I will break a leg. Springer question.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default My dad thinks I will break a leg. Springer question....

Dinozzo behaves much better for me than he does my dad. Thus, I think this is part of the reason he thinks I am just going to end up falling and hurting myself because of Dinozzo. And heck I know anything is possible.

He is decent on the leash for me. Every once in awhile he will start to pull lightly to a mailbox post but a few quick light pops of the prong and he falls right back into place. Sometimes I don't think I even really need the prong anymore.

The only real concern is other dogs. I finally had him not barking/pulling when he saw other dogs. He would still get excited but didn't react. Recently we got charged by a couple loose dogs on different occasions. So now he is back to barking and pulling some. He usually stops after they walk past us.

I just bought a new bike on Monday and for the first time in 17 years finally rode one again. I took Dinozzo out with the leash and prong. We started out with just him walking along side it. Then I actually started riding with him on his leash/prong.

We went at a slow trot and he kept pace. He started to pull every now and then but just a couple light corrections and he would fall right back into place. Only had to do that a couple times and for the majority of the time he ran really nice along side it. I saw a lady up ahead with her dog so I stopped where we were and got of the bike & waited till they passed. He did start barking and pulling some again but it wasn't till after I had the bike stopped.

My question is how much more control do you feel you have with a springer attachment vs just having them run along side with the leash? I already ordered my springer, but am wondering if I should still work on leash walking more before I use the springer.

Side note: He is going to be 8 mo in a week. I only plan to go up and down a few blocks a couple times at a slow pace. It will be under a mile and at a slow pace. Eventually once he gets older we will be biking in the parks and I will be stopping throughout the trails to take nature pictures.

Thanks all
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't have the same model of bike attachment, but I think it's much safer to use any one of them than just a leash in your hand. My attachment is fastened under my seat, and also has a built-in spring, so my dog can't pull me over. If I had his leash in my hand - and he pulled that - then he'd be able to turn the front wheel as well, and that would throw me off the bike, lol!

Your plan to take it slow is important. I didn't bike with my pup until he was just under a year, and we didn't go very far. I also bought him a harness to wear, instead of a collar.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks so much Blnketback. I definitely won't go far with him. Just a short brief trot up and down a block or so.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have been pulled off using just the leash on a pinch so I have a springer. It does take a lot of the concussion out of the pulling or lurching. That said, it isn't 100%. I had a dog stop and try to go behind me after a squirrel. The Springer isn't designed for that type and direction of force.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for posting this. I've been considering getting one for my dog. She's dog reactive but we live in such a quiet place we only see one dog a week. It would be great to take her out with me on the bike.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Amurphy26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've never used the Springer. I train the dog to jog on the *right* side (sometimes required for an AD and also protects the dog when I'm in the road, so I'm between the dog and the traffic). I start just walking the bike and make it clear that they are *not* to run ahead of the front wheel. They get a correction both from me and the bike if they do. I just use a leash and a prong collar. I never wrap the leash around my wrist or the bike, I just lay it flat below my hand on the handle bar and if for some reason I think the dog would pull me over I can just let it drop. I bike at a speed where the dog it fast-gaiting but not breaking into a run, so there's no tightness on the leash since I'm keeping up with the dog. My first GSD was smaller, less angulated, so maintained a slower speed for gaiting and she never pulled on leash. I had problems with there being too much slack in the leash and it tripping her so I biked her in a harness with the leash clipped on her back.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Check into bikejoring when your dog is old enough and its growth plates have sealed. I personally would never use a Springer or Walky Dog. I bike my dogs 5+ miles a day and I've come to realize their full potential for power. I've been dragged off my bike plenty of times when I was new to biking a dog. Now I've got it down, and we can pass squirrels, dogs, coyotes, rabbits, etc without issue. I take all 4 out at one time. They have learned the commands for sled dogs, and they run out in front of me pulling me on my mountain bike. I don't even have to pedal once the entire ride. With those side bike attachments, it just seems so awkward and unbalanced, unless you had a dog on both sides to even it out. Here's a pic of me and 2 of my 4 dogs bikejoring so you get the idea:

Sir BEOWULF the Brave {male Sibe | Malamute | Wolf} 5/5/10
counter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It isn't unbalanced, because the dog is secured to the attachment - but it's more like walking on a loose leash once the dog is trained to stay in that specific spot. Although, it would depend on the rider/dog combo. My brother lets his dog pull him with the same device I use, but the arm is secured under the bike seat itself, and doesn't move, so the pull is a forward motion. I don't do this myself though - I just keep the pace of my dog in a trot.

ETA: and what a great picture, Kevin!

Last edited by Blanketback; 05-07-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I've never used the Springer. I train the dog to jog on the *right* side (sometimes required for an AD and also protects the dog when I'm in the road, so I'm between the dog and the traffic). I start just walking the bike and make it clear that they are *not* to run ahead of the front wheel. They get a correction both from me and the bike if they do. I just use a leash and a prong collar. I never wrap the leash around my wrist or the bike, I just lay it flat below my hand on the handle bar and if for some reason I think the dog would pull me over I can just let it drop. I bike at a speed where the dog it fast-gaiting but not breaking into a run, so there's no tightness on the leash since I'm keeping up with the dog. My first GSD was smaller, less angulated, so maintained a slower speed for gaiting and she never pulled on leash. I had problems with there being too much slack in the leash and it tripping her so I biked her in a harness with the leash clipped on her back.
I actually had done some of this yesterday on and off the bike and he did seem to catch on quick to not go in front of the bike. For me I could see him messing me up though when there is another dog in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter View Post
Check into bikejoring when your dog is old enough and its growth plates have sealed. I personally would never use a Springer or Walky Dog. I bike my dogs 5+ miles a day and I've come to realize their full potential for power. I've been dragged off my bike plenty of times when I was new to biking a dog. Now I've got it down, and we can pass squirrels, dogs, coyotes, rabbits, etc without issue. I take all 4 out at one time. They have learned the commands for sled dogs, and they run out in front of me pulling me on my mountain bike. I don't even have to pedal once the entire ride. With those side bike attachments, it just seems so awkward and unbalanced, unless you had a dog on both sides to even it out. Here's a pic of me and 2 of my 4 dogs bikejoring so you get the idea:

Cool picture!

I actually just came across a video on youtube. It really doesn't start till 4 minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbTU-ERhnbE, but it has me really excited to use the springer. Her dog even does a jump pull in the video and it doesn't effect the owner who is just getting on the bike. She also mentions how the dog went nuts for a raccoon on the side of the road and she was still able to keep control.

I just found out that my springer will arrive today instead of on Friday!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I have been pulled off using just the leash on a pinch so I have a springer. It does take a lot of the concussion out of the pulling or lurching. That said, it isn't 100%. I had a dog stop and try to go behind me after a squirrel. The Springer isn't designed for that type and direction of force.
Yikes! Good to know! Thank you
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.