German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   My dad thinks I will break a leg. Springer question.... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/447170-my-dad-thinks-i-will-break-leg-springer-question.html)

KathrynApril 05-06-2014 10:30 PM

My dad thinks I will break a leg. Springer question....

Dinozzo behaves much better for me than he does my dad. Thus, I think this is part of the reason he thinks I am just going to end up falling and hurting myself because of Dinozzo. And heck I know anything is possible.

He is decent on the leash for me. Every once in awhile he will start to pull lightly to a mailbox post but a few quick light pops of the prong and he falls right back into place. Sometimes I don't think I even really need the prong anymore.

The only real concern is other dogs. I finally had him not barking/pulling when he saw other dogs. He would still get excited but didn't react. Recently we got charged by a couple loose dogs on different occasions. So now he is back to barking and pulling some. He usually stops after they walk past us.

I just bought a new bike on Monday and for the first time in 17 years finally rode one again. I took Dinozzo out with the leash and prong. We started out with just him walking along side it. Then I actually started riding with him on his leash/prong.

We went at a slow trot and he kept pace. He started to pull every now and then but just a couple light corrections and he would fall right back into place. Only had to do that a couple times and for the majority of the time he ran really nice along side it. I saw a lady up ahead with her dog so I stopped where we were and got of the bike & waited till they passed. He did start barking and pulling some again but it wasn't till after I had the bike stopped.

My question is how much more control do you feel you have with a springer attachment vs just having them run along side with the leash? I already ordered my springer, but am wondering if I should still work on leash walking more before I use the springer.

Side note: He is going to be 8 mo in a week. I only plan to go up and down a few blocks a couple times at a slow pace. It will be under a mile and at a slow pace. Eventually once he gets older we will be biking in the parks and I will be stopping throughout the trails to take nature pictures.

Thanks all :)

Blanketback 05-07-2014 09:19 AM

I don't have the same model of bike attachment, but I think it's much safer to use any one of them than just a leash in your hand. My attachment is fastened under my seat, and also has a built-in spring, so my dog can't pull me over. If I had his leash in my hand - and he pulled that - then he'd be able to turn the front wheel as well, and that would throw me off the bike, lol!

Your plan to take it slow is important. I didn't bike with my pup until he was just under a year, and we didn't go very far. I also bought him a harness to wear, instead of a collar.

KathrynApril 05-07-2014 09:34 AM

Thanks so much Blnketback. I definitely won't go far with him. Just a short brief trot up and down a block or so. :)

lhczth 05-07-2014 09:39 AM

I have been pulled off using just the leash on a pinch so I have a springer. It does take a lot of the concussion out of the pulling or lurching. That said, it isn't 100%. I had a dog stop and try to go behind me after a squirrel. The Springer isn't designed for that type and direction of force. :eek:

Amurphy26 05-07-2014 09:51 AM

Thanks for posting this. I've been considering getting one for my dog. She's dog reactive but we live in such a quiet place we only see one dog a week. It would be great to take her out with me on the bike.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Liesje 05-07-2014 10:05 AM

I've never used the Springer. I train the dog to jog on the *right* side (sometimes required for an AD and also protects the dog when I'm in the road, so I'm between the dog and the traffic). I start just walking the bike and make it clear that they are *not* to run ahead of the front wheel. They get a correction both from me and the bike if they do. I just use a leash and a prong collar. I never wrap the leash around my wrist or the bike, I just lay it flat below my hand on the handle bar and if for some reason I think the dog would pull me over I can just let it drop. I bike at a speed where the dog it fast-gaiting but not breaking into a run, so there's no tightness on the leash since I'm keeping up with the dog. My first GSD was smaller, less angulated, so maintained a slower speed for gaiting and she never pulled on leash. I had problems with there being too much slack in the leash and it tripping her so I biked her in a harness with the leash clipped on her back.

counter 05-07-2014 10:42 AM

Check into bikejoring when your dog is old enough and its growth plates have sealed. I personally would never use a Springer or Walky Dog. I bike my dogs 5+ miles a day and I've come to realize their full potential for power. I've been dragged off my bike plenty of times when I was new to biking a dog. Now I've got it down, and we can pass squirrels, dogs, coyotes, rabbits, etc without issue. I take all 4 out at one time. They have learned the commands for sled dogs, and they run out in front of me pulling me on my mountain bike. I don't even have to pedal once the entire ride. With those side bike attachments, it just seems so awkward and unbalanced, unless you had a dog on both sides to even it out. Here's a pic of me and 2 of my 4 dogs bikejoring so you get the idea:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...62088709_n.jpg

Blanketback 05-07-2014 11:00 AM

It isn't unbalanced, because the dog is secured to the attachment - but it's more like walking on a loose leash once the dog is trained to stay in that specific spot. Although, it would depend on the rider/dog combo. My brother lets his dog pull him with the same device I use, but the arm is secured under the bike seat itself, and doesn't move, so the pull is a forward motion. I don't do this myself though - I just keep the pace of my dog in a trot.

ETA: and what a great picture, Kevin! :)

KathrynApril 05-07-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 5484585)
I've never used the Springer. I train the dog to jog on the *right* side (sometimes required for an AD and also protects the dog when I'm in the road, so I'm between the dog and the traffic). I start just walking the bike and make it clear that they are *not* to run ahead of the front wheel. They get a correction both from me and the bike if they do. I just use a leash and a prong collar. I never wrap the leash around my wrist or the bike, I just lay it flat below my hand on the handle bar and if for some reason I think the dog would pull me over I can just let it drop. I bike at a speed where the dog it fast-gaiting but not breaking into a run, so there's no tightness on the leash since I'm keeping up with the dog. My first GSD was smaller, less angulated, so maintained a slower speed for gaiting and she never pulled on leash. I had problems with there being too much slack in the leash and it tripping her so I biked her in a harness with the leash clipped on her back.

I actually had done some of this yesterday on and off the bike and he did seem to catch on quick to not go in front of the bike. For me I could see him messing me up though when there is another dog in the area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by counter (Post 5484785)
Check into bikejoring when your dog is old enough and its growth plates have sealed. I personally would never use a Springer or Walky Dog. I bike my dogs 5+ miles a day and I've come to realize their full potential for power. I've been dragged off my bike plenty of times when I was new to biking a dog. Now I've got it down, and we can pass squirrels, dogs, coyotes, rabbits, etc without issue. I take all 4 out at one time. They have learned the commands for sled dogs, and they run out in front of me pulling me on my mountain bike. I don't even have to pedal once the entire ride. With those side bike attachments, it just seems so awkward and unbalanced, unless you had a dog on both sides to even it out. Here's a pic of me and 2 of my 4 dogs bikejoring so you get the idea:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...62088709_n.jpg

Cool picture!

I actually just came across a video on youtube. It really doesn't start till 4 minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbTU-ERhnbE, but it has me really excited to use the springer. Her dog even does a jump pull in the video and it doesn't effect the owner who is just getting on the bike. She also mentions how the dog went nuts for a raccoon on the side of the road and she was still able to keep control.

I just found out that my springer will arrive today instead of on Friday! :D

KathrynApril 05-07-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 5484409)
I have been pulled off using just the leash on a pinch so I have a springer. It does take a lot of the concussion out of the pulling or lurching. That said, it isn't 100%. I had a dog stop and try to go behind me after a squirrel. The Springer isn't designed for that type and direction of force. :eek:

Yikes! Good to know! Thank you :)