German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   In the market for a harness? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/444354-market-harness.html)

DaniFani 04-29-2014 07:55 PM

In the market for a harness?

9 Attachment(s)
I just got my guy's new bitework harness! It's one that several of the people at my club have and swear by. They all have large rotties and the harnesses have held up awesome for them. I attached a few pics (and some from bitework), it's from dogsportgear.com...it's $84.99 but if you watch the daily sales he sometimes puts it on sale for 59.99 which is an AWESOME deal! It's double leather, reinforced, and my FAVORITE parts are the clips! My dog turns into a freaking bucking bronco when he realizes we are at training, and he gets to go bite stuff. The clips are so nice instead of wrestling a leg through and buckling while he is nipping at me to go faster and trying to bite everything lol. They are heavy duty clips. It's a heavy harness, but I love it. So if you're looking, I'd really recommend it.

I got the XL which goes 75+ lbs. My guy is 76 and it's on the tightest buckles and a little loose. So if your dog is full grown and 70-78 I'd think the Large would be fine.

Gwenhwyfair 04-29-2014 08:36 PM

Ahhh you posted this already. Nice! Mine has a metal clip/snap on the side but it's like the one you see on collars. I like it but I think this design is better, safer I think.

So....some gals get excited about snagging a deal on some Manolo Blahniks....

We get excited when a new leash, collar, harness arrives in the box at the door! At least we got our priorities straight. ;) :D

martemchik 04-29-2014 09:58 PM

I've got the same one! Except maybe for the company...but it looks just like it. I believe I got the large as well and it fits my male perfectly and I have to tighten it by one hole on each side for my much smaller female.

I got mine at allk-9.com and it was $55.

mycobraracr 04-30-2014 01:01 AM

I have the Redline version from allk-9. I have a love hate relationship with it. I find the top rear pad(where the clips/leash go) flips up a lot and will allow the dog to flip over if lunging/jumping for the toy/sleeve. Even when holding the leash low. Also when getting the dog to circle once it has the reward, I have found it rubs under the front legs causing the dog to be uncomfortable/limp. I still use it sometimes. I like it if I'm tying back tying the dog on a wall or doing bungee work. Something where the dog is only going in and out, not side to side.

DaniFani 04-30-2014 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycobraracr (Post 5451114)
I have the Redline version from allk-9. I have a love hate relationship with it. I find the top rear pad(where the clips/leash go) flips up a lot and will allow the dog to flip over if lunging/jumping for the toy/sleeve. Even when holding the leash low. Also when getting the dog to circle once it has the reward, I have found it rubs under the front legs causing the dog to be uncomfortable/limp. I still use it sometimes. I like it if I'm tying back tying the dog on a wall or doing bungee work. Something where the dog is only going in and out, not side to side.

Huh, I'm having a hard time picturing the back flipping up. I used my TD's (same one) all the time before I got this one. My dog will spin around to try and bite the lead out of frustration (or anything he can bite lol), and he jumps side to side, lunges high (he's very jumpy) and I haven't encountered that issue yet. I'll keep you posted if it happens.

mycobraracr 05-01-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaniFani (Post 5451226)
Huh, I'm having a hard time picturing the back flipping up. I used my TD's (same one) all the time before I got this one. My dog will spin around to try and bite the lead out of frustration (or anything he can bite lol), and he jumps side to side, lunges high (he's very jumpy) and I haven't encountered that issue yet. I'll keep you posted if it happens.

As long as it works for you and you like it. That's all that matters. The majority of my group has one. None of us use it anymore because of what I described. I wish it worked better for me. I like it for all the same reasons you said. Easy to put on and off and the padding is nice.

onyx'girl 05-01-2014 10:31 AM

Still love my Bridgeport... excellent quality for the price.

Liesje 05-01-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5456721)
Still love my Bridgeport... excellent quality for the price.

I have this one too, really like it and this is the one that almost everyone I've trained with uses.

I gotta say though, now that I have my IDC harness, it has replaced ALL other harnesses. I use it for agitation/bitework, nosework (trial harness), flyball, and dock diving (only when Nikon is wearing the GoPro camera, otherwise no harness). I'm selling/giving away all my other harnesses, but I'd still recommend the Bridgeport for anyone who wants a good working harness in that style.

wolfstraum 05-01-2014 11:28 AM

I tried doing some with the snaps at the back of the girth - I get them custom made by an Amish harness maker for friends and people at training....harness leather not latigo, and brass hardware and real sheepskin padding - and I don't like them either....I like the traditional style - mine are the same style as Bridgeport sells but with real sheepskin at chestplate...

Lee

DaniFani 05-01-2014 11:57 AM

Maybe when he's older and bigger I won't like it, but I looove it now :-). Wolfstraum the amish made harness sounds great. If I had the connections I'd def check that out. I am always buying crap for the dog, it's a sickness. I'll probably have three harnesses by the end of this season lol!