German Shepherds Forum banner

I thought this was brilliant but is it?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Cassidy's Mom 
#1 ·
I find putting a cone around my dog's neck (to prevent from licking a recovering area) to be quiet irritating in terms of them running into things and running into us. It also seems very uncomfortable...

I saw this dog with what I think was an airplane neck pillow around his neck and wondered if the person was using it instead of a cone. Thought it was a brilliant idea. Is it dangerous or inappropriate (i.e. will it not work?) to use an airplane neck pillow as a cone?

Also, I read somewhere that after a spay/neuter or an injury or fistula in that area, boys boxers can be put on the pup to protect the recovering area...

What do you think?

#6 ·
I have one and attempted to use it on my oldest dog and boy was she dramatic with it, she gagged and everything. It wasn't to tight , the princess just was mad she couldn't get to her butt. It worked fine on the younger golden.

#7 ·
When I had my dog nuetered, we had the option to use the oh so famous cone or use this dog indie. The onside worked so much better than the cone. You only had to undo the back and pull it up so the dog could do his business, then you just do it back up.

#8 ·
I tried one of donut ones when Halo had a huge hot spot on her side that she wouldn't stop licking, similar to the Kong brand one linked to above. Unfortunately, she could still reach the spot, so it didn't work very well. Nice concept though. I ended up getting a BiteNot collar, which worked perfectly: BiteNot collar

It does not allow the dog to turn their head far enough to get at the back end, but they can go in their crate and turn around, use a dog door to go outside (unlike with a cone), eat, sleep, and play ball wearing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.