German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Traveling with my GSD (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/442361-traveling-my-gsd.html)

Jinny 04-24-2014 09:01 AM

Traveling with my GSD

Hi Guys,

My GSD pup is 4 months and growing each day. He finally outgrew his travel crate and I'm looking to use another crate for him to grow in. However, I drive a 4 door honda accord, and I'm trying to figure out what size crate would fit comfortably in the car? I was looking into the foldable nylon ones (so I can just pop it open inside) but I don't know how sturdy it is.

He's roughly almost 30lbs. And right now, we're just hooking his harness to the seat belt latch, but I feel it won't give him the protection he needs.

So any owners with an accord, any suggestions would be helpful! And no I will not get a bigger car. I thought about it, but financially it's not feasible

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

blackshep 04-24-2014 03:03 PM

I managed to cram a 36" wire crate in the back of my Honda Civic. lol

It was really too small for my dog though, so when my lease was up I upgraded to a schmexxy Dodge Grand Caravan. I can honestly say I love my van. I know you said you can't afford a new vehicle, but the Caravans are pretty cheap and you might luck out getting something low km's used? Something to think about anyway, for the future.

Anyway, I fit the 36" crate in my Civic, but it was really cramped for my dog and made life hard as far as transporting anything else like groceries. It worked for a while though.

I would not do a soft sided crate, they are not secure.

Jinny 04-24-2014 05:15 PM

Thanks! I'll try to see if a 36" will fit which I'm hoping it would because if you can cram it in a civic, I think I should be okay. He's still a pup so when he gets bigger then I might think about trading my car in.. But we'll see.

Thanks again for the advice!

scarfish 04-24-2014 05:46 PM

i'm confused, why would you put a dog in a cage in the car? it's not a cat. if you have a seat belt harness already, i think you're just being a little over protective. drink a beer. this is how we roll. warning, curse words in video.

K9POPPY 04-24-2014 06:27 PM

As far as your model car, and your dog rides well , seat-belted, without problems, don't think you need a crate? But if you do, we have used the soft crates for many years, and they hold up well- IMHO, Bob

autopsy_survivor 04-24-2014 07:44 PM

Why not get a divider for the back area? I have a Chevy Aveo5 and before that a Neon, the divider worked great.

I read a study/watched a video about a year ago about seatbelt harnesses and dogs. They wouldn't disclose the brands, other than "the top 5 brands" but nearly all would kill the dog if it was in an accident, it just wouldn't go flying around the car. For at least two of them, the dogs would have been decapitated. I've never really used the seatbelt harnesses, I've always had crates or dividers, so I didn't pay as much attention to it as I would have if it were something I used.

Jinny 04-25-2014 07:28 AM

Traveling with my GSD

Thanks Guys for the advice. Scarfish thanks for the video!! Enjoyed your cruisin with doggies! Lol.. They seem fine so it makes me feel better in regards to using a crate or not. Especially in a car like yours, it's exactly like mine. So I think they'll be okay :)