new to prong collar, a few questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new to prong collar, a few questions

I never wanted to use a prong collar because of how they look like torture devices. Ive tried just about every other collar/harness and my 6month gsd still pulls wildly. I tried a flat collar, choke collar, e-collar, easy walk harness, the gentle leader, etc. She is so reactive to everything outside. I happened to come across a web site that changed my entire view on prong collars. Well, we ran out and bought one. I got a medium for my 55lb dog. I had to take several links out. I have it fitting pretty snug, but while walking her, it keeps rotating and I have to keep adjusting it. I dont want it pinching her trachea. Im afraid if I take another link out it will be tight enough to pinch her while getting it on her. She hates us putting collars/harnesses on in the first place. They say you should be able to fit 3 fingers under the collar than why is it rotating? Also, it worked wonders the first few times, but today she just started pulling and pulling hard. We did everything the trainers say to do to train with the collar (quick correction). Why would a dog pull on a prong collar? Could she be descensitized already? I loved the results, but want them to continue. They suggest hooking it to a collar incase a link comes undone. How can it come undone? Looks pretty sturdy.
Jlmaiorana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

You should pay the money and get a trainer. A dog wouldn't pull on an ecollar or prong if done correctly. You aren't doing things correctly so all you are doing is what you didn't want to do in the first place, torturing the dog. Your message isn't clear to the dog so he's just confused and he's getting his neck pinched.

And yes a prong that can twist around is way too loose.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Do you have it high on the neck, below the ears?
How are you walking with your dog?
If your dog is heeling on your left, and you have a 6' leash, put the handle in your right hand and hold the slack of the leash with your left, loosely so you can "pop" if you need to and to also keep the leash from getting tangled underfoot. The palms of your hand should face down, and see if this gives you more control. The "pop" should be a quick jerk to the side and not a constant tenseness or pull on the leash.

Are you giving the verbal command to heel when in this position?

Ideally you should find a good trainer to help you in person. A trainer can evaluate what else is going on with your dog, plus remember it is still a pup it's not going to be a calm mellow walk with a pup. I'd practice heeling for 10 min 2x a day.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, already had a trainer working with her on the choker and e-collar. All my dog did was fight it. She did so perfect with the pinch the first few times. I was amazed. Yes it was up high on neck behind the ears and my left hand to pop the leash was about 10 inches from her collar. She just didnt respond to it much today. It worked perfect before. I think my husband keeps slight tension but he insists he isnt. I keep telling him anyway. Maybe I should get the herm sprenger.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Find a trainer that uses a prong and also uses positive reinforcement, you don't want to be using a prong forever.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

You should find another more knowledgeable trainer. It's not the equipment, it's the training. You can't just keep upgrading and changing equipment in hopes of finding something that works.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd say splurge on the HS, because I know they're a quality product and will last forever - my stainless HS is around 20 years old and looks brand new. Good blunted tips on the prongs too, not like other crappy ones.

I've never had a problem with them coming undone, but because of the way they're made (links that aren't physically connected to each other) I've always thought it best not to tempt fate, and have a back-up collar on too. I like using an oversized choke chain because it won't interfere with the prong, it's just for security.

As to the trouble you're having with your pup still pulling, some dogs will keep pulling through the prong if they're intent enough. I think you'd need to go back to the trainer and see where you're going wrong - although I think you might be right about your DH and the constant tension. Good luck!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default I have a similar problem but perhaps to a bit lesser degree

So, I feel for you.

It's very frustrating to have a dog pull and equally frustrating to have to correct the dog so often that neither of you are having any fun on the walks.

At least, in my case I know the drive that's tempting the dog to pull, he just loves to sniff the spots where other dogs pee along the route of our walk. He's identified mailboxes and street signs as the most visited "pee-emporiums" and gravitates towards them during the walks.

If I use a short six ft. leash he's a real pain and I have to walk in the middle of the road to keep him away from the scents. At a minimum I have to walk him with me near the curb and him nearer the center of the road and away from the scents.

But I also use a long-line (military calls them a 360) and sometimes allow him to scent all he likes, taking him back to close heel when an auto comes or when we're crossing a busy street. He does well on those walks and even comes to close heel pretty well. But then, he know he'll be able to go back to scenting in a minute or two once the cars are gone.

I've thought of giving up the long-line entirely. But that would mean going back to both of us not enjoying any aspect of the walk...unless someone else has an idea.

Oh, we don't use prong collars or e-collars; just choke collar.

LF
Longfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Called Leeburg to order a HS. They suggested a 2.5mm prong small collar. I also ordered the dominant dog collar for backup. Also got the prong collar leash. Ill get it tuesday. Cant wait because she pulls like a sled dog without one.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a petco brand prong and an hs. They both work exactly the same. Chances are your frustrated and the dog knows it, and it's creating tension during the walk. The pup could be under exercised as well which will create an even bigger monster on walks. When Anna was learning (on her prong) she had good days and bad days, it's important that no matter what happens you stay consistent and keep trying.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.