German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   What's the best high value treat? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/435977-whats-best-high-value-treat.html)

Susan_GSD_mom 04-09-2014 09:57 PM

What's the best high value treat?

My two GSDs are both rescues who each came to me with a lot of baggage. Now that the weather is great (and my sister is home from the hospital) I want to start 'unpacking' all that baggage, and I know some high value treats will go a long way to help me do that.

Who makes their own, and who buys? Both Orick and Jada LOVE bits of roast chicken, probably more than anything, but I would be happier with something dry and not so messy, LOL. What is everyone's (dogs') favorite high value treat?

Thanks!

Susan

Twyla 04-09-2014 10:04 PM

Woolf's crack is Natural Balance roll food - duck being the highest value.

Packen 04-09-2014 10:07 PM

Cut up chicken gizzards!

GatorBytes 04-09-2014 10:11 PM

I dehydrate beef heart and turkey hearts - goes nuts for these.

I also make a baked treat with nominal amount of buckwheat flour and liver etc. it is a soft treat, not messy and I break squares into smaller treats, so 1 treat = 5 or 6...he loves these too...but the dehydrated is tops

onyx'girl 04-09-2014 10:12 PM

I change up treats all the time but Bil jac frozen is Karlo's favorite most often. Feeding raw makes it more of a challenge to find things the dogs like, so I go with natural balance rolls, string or cubed cheese or grill chicken breast with some garlic.
Unfortunately we can't buy Bil jac in MI, unless it is from the warehouse and purchased by the case. It isn't the best, nutrition-wise but makes for great tracking bait and training rewards. One batch I got had green tripe as the first ingredient. I was impressed with that.

Pax8 04-09-2014 11:09 PM

I dehydrated some green tripe in my machine once. ONCE. I don't think I've smelled a more awful thing in my life, but I thought Kaiju was going to simply burst he went so nuts for it. I think some prepared raw companies make little moist pelleted green tripe normally used as topper for kibble, but those would probably work very well for training treats too.

Besides that, pretty much anything dehydrated is his favorite. I did one time rub down a pound of liver with about a half teaspoon of garlic powder and dehydrated that. I accidentally distracted my entire class and had to remove it from the room - none of the other dogs could concentrate and they kept running over and sitting in a circle in front of me!

Cassidy's Mom 04-09-2014 11:27 PM

I buy because it's easy and I'm lazy, lol. My current favorite is Real Meat dog food, which is basically air dried meat and not a lot else. It doesn't need to be refrigerated and comes in perfect sized pieces, but can also be broken up into smaller pieces with your fingers. I use the 90% Meat Air Dried Beef: Real Meat Pet Food

Quote:

Air Dried Beef Dog Food
Ingredients: Beef, Beef Liver, Beef Heart, Beef Kidney, Pumpkin, Inulin (from Chicory), Vegetable Glycerin, Ground Beef Bone, Yucca Schidigera(BioAide), Pea Powder ,Kelp, Parsley, Rosemary, Sea Salt ,Betaine, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E Supplement), Pomegranate, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Vitamin E, Yeast Extract(Agrimos), Flaxseed, Barley Grass, Iron Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Copper Sulfate, Nicotinic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide (source of iodine), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 35%
Crude Fat (min) 20%
Crude Fiber (max) 2%
Moisture (max) 15%
Calories 4250kcal/kg 181kcal/ 1/4cup (1/4cup=1.5oz) Phosphorus level=1.6% DM Calcium level =1.8% DM Salt/Sodium =.44% DM Chloride =.47% DM
I haven't found a dog (or cat!) that doesn't love it, and even have dogs at flyball sucking up to me to get some. :D

They make treats too, but they're more expensive per ounce than the food, and come in smaller packages. A two pound bag last me quite a while. I also use string cheese.

mego 04-09-2014 11:58 PM

Lara's favorite is probably turkey from the deli at the grocery store. She can hear the bag from a mile away and even knows what 'turkey' means now...

Mister C 04-10-2014 08:09 AM

Maddie's faves were dried turkey hearts, dried liver and human-grade beef jerky.

Nigel 04-10-2014 11:32 AM

Forgot treats on the way to training, only a gas station along the way so I got a pack of jack links beef jerky. Yes, too much salt, but for a one off event Ranger went nuts for it.