German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   We had our first bike ride today (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/434201-we-had-our-first-bike-ride-today.html)

Curtis 04-05-2014 04:58 PM

We had our first bike ride today

Empire will be a year old in a couple of weeks. Today I wanted to see if he'd enjoy a jog around the neighborhood so I hopped on my bike to see how he would react. He was all over the place, so I switched to his prong and he jogged perfectly.

I am definitely going to going to order an attachment for my bike do don't have to hold the leash.

Can anyone recommend either the Bike Tow Leash or the Walky Dog?

We only had one ride, so I can't tell in he enjoyed it yet. Next time I'll be able to see if he's looking forward to it now that he knows what we're doing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

dogfaeries 04-05-2014 05:07 PM

I have the Bike Tow Leash and really like it. I haven't tried it out on big boy Russell yet, but it's worked great for the girls. They can't pull me over (Carly tried).

Nigel 04-05-2014 05:42 PM

We use a walky dog and are pretty happy with it. Zoey loves it, she's fast, loves to run, Tuke is ok with it and prefers to trot.

Curtis 04-05-2014 07:07 PM

Thanks for replying. I went ahead and ordered the Bike Tow Leash.

jocoyn 04-05-2014 07:10 PM

I would be interested in your feedback. I was looking into this a year ago and am FINALLY getting a bike appropriate for this (my old road bike just has me too high off the ground for comfort plus I don't want to mess with it.........it is kind of a collectors item..hahaha...really.....worth about 3 times what I paid for it)

Both seem to be highly reviewed.

I did find this though which seems to support your decision. My big concern with the walky dog is the leg constantly hitting the bar. Don't know if that is the case or not.

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkyd...tow-leash.html

Curtis 04-05-2014 07:46 PM

Jocoyn, that is the site that I ordered from. I will update this thread with my thoughts once I try it out.

What is your collector's bike?

jocoyn 04-05-2014 07:50 PM

1973 Schwinn Paramount. I am the original owner. All campy except for the brakes. I did rebuild the wheels (myself) - they put a 4x spoke pattern on a high flange hub. Also swapped out the Nuovo Record for the Rally derailleur to put wider ranges on the back (the good model)...Also ditched the Cinelli Stem for a Sun Tour because the reach was too far.

I worked as a bike mechanic after college hahahaha.

Curtis 04-05-2014 08:02 PM

Wow, 1973! I see what you mean by too high.

Funny, the Bike Leash costs more than my bike. I got it on clearance at Target for $41 because they stripped a pedal assembling it . http://m.target.com/p/huffy-nassau-2...y/-/A-13823687

jocoyn 04-05-2014 08:12 PM

A friend is sending me a used Diamondback something. 26 inch "mountain bike" - probably front suspension. Probably low end. Perfect for not worrying about. It will cost me $37 for the shipping. I think a cheapmo bike is perfect for this.

Actually gear shifting technology advanced greatly when the Japanese entered the scene! You would not even dare try to shift the gears on the old Paramount without downtube friction shifters and trimming the front derailleur on each back derailleur shift because the cage was that narrow. and I want BOTH hands on the handlebars with a dog on a line. The version of the Rally I had stole the slant pantrograph design from the Shimano Crane but was still not technically as good, though it worked just fine for me.....it was my car for about 6 years and carried me from Portland Oregon to Missoula Montana fully loaded (and numerous other trips in the SE US)

So what are you doing about the pedal? The crank was not stripped? Normally pedals have harder threads than the crank (unless it is a steel crank).

Nigel 04-05-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5330753)
I would be interested in your feedback. I was looking into this a year ago and am FINALLY getting a bike appropriate for this (my old road bike just has me too high off the ground for comfort plus I don't want to mess with it.........it is kind of a collectors item..hahaha...really.....worth about 3 times what I paid for it)

Both seem to be highly reviewed.

I did find this though which seems to support your decision. My big concern with the walky dog is the leg constantly hitting the bar. Don't know if that is the case or not.

What is the difference in the WalkyDog Plus and the Bike Tow Leash?

Can't say its true for all bikes, but this has not been an issue for us. The mount should be angled slightly rearward, my leg doesn't touch it. I think both products will work nicely though. We had "kid" trailer attachments on both bikes which use the same lower seat/chain stay area for mounting. It would be a pita to switch out for us so the walky dog set up made more sense for us.