German Shepherds Forum banner

Harness

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Botox 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what brand/type of harness is best for comfort and safety. I am working diligently with my pup not to pull on the leash and it's going well. Though I still don't like how when she does pull I only have a flat collar on. I have read about no pull harnesses and that's not what I am looking for. I want something I can use in lieu of the collar more so that the leash is attached kind of up by the shoulders, and still is comfortable. Thanks! :)

#2 ·
ComfortFlex are nice! Simple, strong, easy to put on. I use one right now for my younger dogs, 5 month old GSD that needs leash training and a young pit mix that literally chokes herself out walking sideways on a flat collar but is good on a harness. I don't always agree that a harness encourages pulling, seems to work better for my two young dogs who are still working on loose leash walking and manners.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info! Yea she is only 4 months, I just want her to be comfortable. I don't like that I feel like I am holding the reigns of a horse sometimes. I like how it puts the leash in a central area. I will look them up! Obviously it's gotta be camo :p

#8 ·
harness?

Read the no-pull debate article mentioned above, which is correct. Harnesses do not teach a dog to not pull. We use Martingale collars in all our obedience classes. look them up. It is a safe, inexpensive, effective collar if you are trying to teach obedience to a dog. IMHO, Bob:)

#9 ·
Read the no-pull debate article mentioned above, which is correct. Harnesses do not teach a dog to not pull. We use Martingale collars in all our obedience classes. look them up. It is a safe, inexpensive, effective collar if you are trying to teach obedience to a dog. IMHO, Bob:)
Unfortunately, they can still do neck damage if a dog is pulling on the.

I like harnesses when the dog still isn't great on leash so that it doesn't harm it's neck in the process.

#11 ·
That's missing the point, the dog will NOT be pulling if a correction is made-
I have never met a bad leash puller that would respond to a correction on a martingale collar and stop pulling.

the correction is proper training, which takes time. So I keep dogs in something safe and comfortable until the training takes.

#14 ·
I like the input, however I am simply saying that It seems as if the harness sits better on the dog she isn't that bad of a puller I have been working on loose leash training she is doing well. I have read the thread about pulling and how to properly train the dog, thought it takes time, and during that time I would rather her wear a harness. All I am asking is peoples personal feelings about their favorite kind of harness. Again I am not substituting this as training against pulling, I am just trying to see what types of harnesses people feel their dog is comfortable in and fits well. I'm not trying to turn this thread into an argument about training techniques. Just opinions on peoples reviews of certain products, thanks! :)

#15 ·
Completely fair :) I use a harness on one dog and probably *always* will. It just works! She is a very soft, handler-sensitive dog and the amount of correction needed to get the same results with a collar is just not worth it. She is a flyball dog and is on leash when exiting/entering tournaments/hotels and when on leash to potty. At home and at training she's off leash. She'd rather be doing flyball than spending hours learning perfect leash walking with a flat collar. The harness is secure and comfortable. She wears a bright orange ComfortFlex, the one I mentioned originally. She has very short hair (pit bull) and I like how the ComfortFlex feels almost padded, but is not heavy or bulky. For walking and most sports, I personally don't like the heavier harnesses that have a "saddle" thing on the back or a big chest plate in front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.