German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Harness (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/423202-harness.html)

Botox 03-12-2014 11:31 AM

Harness

I was just wondering what brand/type of harness is best for comfort and safety. I am working diligently with my pup not to pull on the leash and it's going well. Though I still don't like how when she does pull I only have a flat collar on. I have read about no pull harnesses and that's not what I am looking for. I want something I can use in lieu of the collar more so that the leash is attached kind of up by the shoulders, and still is comfortable. Thanks! :)

Liesje 03-12-2014 11:55 AM

ComfortFlex are nice! Simple, strong, easy to put on. I use one right now for my younger dogs, 5 month old GSD that needs leash training and a young pit mix that literally chokes herself out walking sideways on a flat collar but is good on a harness. I don't always agree that a harness encourages pulling, seems to work better for my two young dogs who are still working on loose leash walking and manners.

Botox 03-12-2014 11:59 AM

Thanks for the info! Yea she is only 4 months, I just want her to be comfortable. I don't like that I feel like I am holding the reigns of a horse sometimes. I like how it puts the leash in a central area. I will look them up! Obviously it's gotta be camo :P

Botox 03-12-2014 12:00 PM

I just looked them up, no camo colors :( this is making me sad haha.

erintaylor1995 03-12-2014 12:07 PM

I use the Pets Safe easy walk harness and it works awesome!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

blackshep 03-12-2014 01:58 PM

easy-walk harnesses can cause damage to your dog apparently

The No-Pull Debate - Whole Dog Journal Article

I like the comfort flex harnesses too, although they are hard to find in Canada

DJEtzel 03-12-2014 02:08 PM

I like the brilliant k9 harnesses and they come in some pretty cool colors!

BrilliantK9 Harness Large fits 50 to 70 lb dogs

K9POPPY 03-12-2014 02:21 PM

harness?

Read the no-pull debate article mentioned above, which is correct. Harnesses do not teach a dog to not pull. We use Martingale collars in all our obedience classes. look them up. It is a safe, inexpensive, effective collar if you are trying to teach obedience to a dog. IMHO, Bob:)

DJEtzel 03-12-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9POPPY (Post 5184842)
Read the no-pull debate article mentioned above, which is correct. Harnesses do not teach a dog to not pull. We use Martingale collars in all our obedience classes. look them up. It is a safe, inexpensive, effective collar if you are trying to teach obedience to a dog. IMHO, Bob:)

Unfortunately, they can still do neck damage if a dog is pulling on the.

I like harnesses when the dog still isn't great on leash so that it doesn't harm it's neck in the process.

K9POPPY 03-12-2014 02:59 PM

That's missing the point, the dog will NOT be pulling if an appropriate correction is made- We have yet to see any neck damage (in hundreds of canine students) using a martingale-