German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   My gsd is a escape artist! Need inputs on cages (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/418465-my-gsd-escape-artist-need-inputs-cages.html)

Baileysowner 03-02-2014 02:21 PM

My gsd is a escape artist! Need inputs on cages

My gsd can escape from her cage with out any trouble, she uses a travel type kennel and we do use cable ties and that does help but some times we run out? Any suggestions on a wire cage or something else that is sturdy

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

llombardo 03-02-2014 02:25 PM

I had to put little locks in mine. They did the trick. I used the ones that had a key.

MichaelE 03-02-2014 02:41 PM

Same here. I had to use two padlocks and several carbiners to keep Lisl in.

She is my Houdini Dog. I swear if she had the keys to those locks she'd be on the couch waiting for me when I got home from work.

I'm glad she's permanently out now.

Blanketback 03-02-2014 02:48 PM

How do they manage to get out? My vari-kennel has a squeeze latch on it. I'm either very impressed with the dogs' ingenuity or really questioning the quality of the crate itself, lol.

MichaelE 03-02-2014 02:50 PM

Lisl opened the latches on hers. Both top and bottom. When she was very young she only had to open one or the other and could push one corner of the door enough to squeeze through.

Baileysowner 03-02-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 5122329)
Lisl opened the latches on hers. Both top and bottom. When she was very young she only had to open one or the other and could push one corner of the door enough to squeeze through.

Thats wat my 2 yo girl does even if she cant get both latches open she will get one then squeeze out even if its the tiniest space she will get thru it

Mala 03-02-2014 05:22 PM

I use a wire kong crate. It has double doors and both slides up. No way of breaking out that way! Have had it for almost 2 years and it's still very sturdy like from day 1.

llombardo 03-02-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mala (Post 5122873)
I use a wire kong crate. It has double doors and both slides up. No way of breaking out that way! Have had it for almost 2 years and it's still very sturdy like from day 1.

Mine got out of it. I had to put a lock on the bottom and it was a bigger lock.

Mala 03-02-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5122921)
Mine got out of it. I had to put a lock on the bottom and it was a bigger lock.

Oh my! How? Did he slide it up?

llombardo 03-02-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mala (Post 5124113)
Oh my! How? Did he slide it up?

Oh yes he did and he bent it, so it's even harder to push all the way down.