New Sprenger Prong...fitted properly? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Sprenger Prong...fitted properly?

So I've never used a prong before! I watched Tyler Muto's videos about how to fit them and also read up on Leerburg's site AND here for how to fit it. Here is the finished product, can I get some opinions on if it is correct?

I purchased this Sprenger at CountryMax. I had no idea they even sold them! Kain is 10 months with a 16" neck. However, the sizing on the different tags read only Small, Medium, and XLarge. I peeled back the CountryMax tag, but the Sprenger tag didn't elaborate either. The XL looked way too big, and although the Med. seemed small I remember a thread where someone said the smaller prongs were better for handling. Nowhere on the tag does it mentioned the mm, can someone tell me if this is the 2.25mm or the 3.2mm?

I removed 2 links from it to make it fit more snugly. Is this high up enough? Sorry if the images suck, he wasn't exactly cooperating lol

I've begun watching videos on how to use the prong and I cannot believe the results so far. I'm not even pulling on him at all. He pulls and corrects himself and he is an absolute gem on the leash after one day! Crazy!
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can't tell what the mm measurement might be from the picture, but it looks to me like you have it fitted correctly. It's in the right position on the neck. For the tightness, I've always worked mine so that they can be spun around the dog's neck without much pressure (you don't want it so tight that you have to put some muscle into turning the collar) but tight enough that it won't slip down the neck. To me, the dog's response has always given me the best idea about whether or not it's fitted correctly, and yours seems to be, especially if he is responding to very little pressure. That's exactly how it's supposed to work, with light pressure. Not with the yanks that some people seem to think is appropriate :|
sechattin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

You should not be able to spin easily....The prongs should be on top of not under jaw....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
You should not be able to spin easily....The prongs should be on top of not under jaw....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
The prongs go around the top of the neck with the D ring under the jaw?
Old 03-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

To the lower right. See the picture of the malinois. Well, at least that is what I have been told. When put on that way the chain, not the prongs cross the trachea. But I have seen it with the rings on the back of the neck a lot.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 03-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Are you referring to the Malinois in the Leerburg video? Of the videos I have seen the rings have all been on the back of the neck. I thought the point of the prong was to put even pressure all around the neck and not the trachea? Oh confusion.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

you should not be able to spin the collar easily. it takes me two hands to move the collar around.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Oh sorry the malinois in the Leerburg article. I am not going to lay claim to being an expert on this by a long shot. This is just the way I was also shown to fit it. Take it for what it is worth.

Leerburg Dog Training | How to Fit a Prong Collar

Last edited by jocoyn; 03-01-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Now I am curious, My dog wears the prong with the live ring middle back of head... it that correct or is it supposed to be to the side of the head?

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I use side of neck so leash connects near lower right chin since this is basic heel position and many commands come from my dog at that position
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.