German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   The effects of different collars on dog's spine. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/413290-effects-different-collars-dogs-spine.html)

DaniFani 02-19-2014 02:15 PM

The effects of different collars on dog's spine.

Thought this was an interesting article about the different risks behind alllll the kinds of training collars and harnesses on the market these days.

Sorry if it's a duplicate thread, I searched and couldn't find it anywhere recently around here. I think bottom line, know how to use the tool and use it properly, like we always say....just thought it was a thought provoking article.

Happy reading :-)

Caring for your Dog's Neck and Spine: Dog Collar Issues - DogBreedz.com

ETA: My apologies if "affect" is the proper grammar. I get those two confused constantly lol.

Lucy Dog 02-19-2014 02:36 PM

Nice article. Thanks for posting. And you're right - "effect" is correct.

SuperG 02-19-2014 02:47 PM

Nice to see their comments regarding the use of a prong collar.......best one to use

SuperG

Botox 02-19-2014 04:20 PM

Wow I was surprised by the prong collar mention. I use it in my home when I am training on a 4ft lead, however she is still a 14 almost 15 week old puppy I am worried that when she gets excited on walks outside that she will hurt herself. I realize the dog needing to realize that she is the one causing the correction is the desired result, however I still worry that she will try and bolt off to people when we are walking by. Maybe in a few weeks :) good read though thanks for posting :)

Sp00ks 02-19-2014 04:31 PM

Good read. I too was surprised about his take on the prong collar. I was not expecting that reaction.

Mishka&Milo 02-19-2014 08:09 PM

Good read. I've been on the fence about the prong collar for a while now... I made the decision to put one around my own neck and give it a nice pop..... It was quite a shock. I've seen the good things it can do, and I planned to use it... I was just afraid it could harm her. This has made me feel infinitely better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

DJEtzel 02-19-2014 08:15 PM

Great read. Definitely sharing it so others can see why I choose to use a prong collar.

On that note, please don't use them on dogs less than 6 months old or 40lbs. It ISN'T safe at that point. A 14/15 week old should NOT be wearing one. As with any tool, there ARE ways to abuse them.

HOBY 02-19-2014 08:21 PM

Nice informative read about collars and the ever controversial prong collar. I have used the prong on 2 of my dogs with help from a trainer. It was the right move.

jocoyn 02-19-2014 08:24 PM

Excellent, print that one the next time you get attacked by a behaviorist

Blanketback 02-19-2014 09:13 PM

Awesome find Dani! I knew the prong was the safest collar, but it's always nice to have an expert's affirmation, lol. Thanks:)