German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   DIY heavy-duty long lead (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/411986-diy-heavy-duty-long-lead.html)

madis 02-16-2014 08:12 PM

DIY heavy-duty long lead

2 Attachment(s)
Though I would share my crafty long lead with you guys. I know you can just tie a rope on but I wanted something that looked nice and would be heavy duty. Attachment 180738
Attachment 180746 it's 50' long

Will post tutorial on my blog soon www.livingwithalandshark.blogspot.com

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

doggiedad 02-16-2014 08:29 PM

a lunge line ( used for horses) will work.
there's long dog lines.

nikon22shooter 02-16-2014 09:39 PM

Very nice

madis 02-16-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 5032882)
a lunge line ( used for horses) will work.
there's long dog lines.

Yeah I thought about that but I only payed 15 for the equipment :)

nikon22shooter 02-16-2014 09:43 PM

I'm curious how you attached them, almost looks like tape? Or a rubber seal? Looking forward to your DIY.

jocoyn 02-16-2014 09:47 PM

Did you use nylon rope or 7mm accessory cord? The cord from climbing shops holds up a lot better and does not stretch or snag compared to the nylon rope you get at places like Lowes or WalMart. 7mm cord would be in same price range.

I just use figure 8 knots because they hold well but can be untied easy, but the lashing looks nice. You can use the rubber dip stuff for the ends.

madis 02-16-2014 09:57 PM

I melted the rope together on the handle and where the fastener attached and used nylon cord for the lashings. I melted all the knots and ends. I had nylon already or I would have bought para cord because the nylon slips. The type of rope I chose resists knotting and kinking and it looks nice. I'll work on the tutorial tonight :)

middleofnowhere 02-16-2014 11:56 PM

That does look nice!

The problem I have with any nylon lead is that it is very easy to get a very nasty rope burn. A 15' cotton long line costs about $10; 30 foot about $20. A little less on ebay but not quite the quality I got from Tractor Supply. Can't find them where I am now, so Ebay. I'll confess that cotton can give you a rope burn, too, but nylon is quicker & deeper. -- so if you use nylon, be more agile than I!

madis 02-17-2014 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 5034258)
That does look nice!

The problem I have with any nylon lead is that it is very easy to get a very nasty rope burn.

It hurst so bad! lol The rope is a polycord braided line, not nylon. It's nice in-hand, unlike an old store-bought line I previously owned.:doggieplayball:

Liesje 02-17-2014 12:04 PM

I've used some braided cord for a few things but one thing to avoid is climbing rope/cord that is "cored" - basically braided around a white core in the middle. This is going to stretch, rip, and cannot withstand nearly the amount of pressure that true climbing rope can handle.