E-Collar vs Electric No Bark Collar? Need help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default E-Collar vs Electric No Bark Collar? Need help!

My 2 year old GSD is a barking maniac. She barks at every one when we're outside. I don't mind the barking but I want her to stop when I say. She's a very sweet, timid dog and it is mind boggling to me that she would bark at a small child. I'm guessing she's fearful.
Long story short-I want to rid her of this habit. Mostly to know it's ok to bark but that she needs to stop when I tell her too. Normally, I have to stop what I'm doing and stand in front of her to break her concentration on whatever she's barking it.
My question is-should I go with a traditional "shock collar" or can I use an e-collar. I am hoping I can use the e-collar to break the bad habit of barking when I ask her to stop as well as to train her to be more obedient. Is the e-collar effective for barking or should I just get the no bark collar? I'm currently looking at the Dogtra YS500 and the SportDOG NoBark 10R.
Any and all input it appreciated! I just want her to be safe and both of us to be happy
tl&shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not that either took are not effective, but it is my opinion that your pup would be best served learning to be more confident. If she is barking out if fear, couple that with an ill timed ecollar correction and now the dog us scared and getting in trouble fir being scared. So now she may think, if she gets shocked every time she sees a kid, that kids bring bad things. Making her fear worse.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Not that either took are not effective, but it is my opinion that your pup would be best served learning to be more confident. If she is barking out if fear, couple that with an ill timed ecollar correction and now the dog us scared and getting in trouble fir being scared. So now she may think, if she gets shocked every time she sees a kid, that kids bring bad things. Making her fear worse.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I guess I should clarify that the barking is not always out of fear. She barks at cars, when people (she knows and loves) come to the home, when she gets rowdy, etc. My main goal is for her to understand that when I tell her to stop, she needs to stop. I am not bothered by her being vocal-she's always been a talker but I do need her to stop when I say stop and right now I feel I have very little control over that!
tl&shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Take a look at this. I have trained a dog to stop barking on command using clicker training. I would start there FIRST.

How to Stop Unwanted Barking | Karen Pryor Clicker Training

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Try this as well, from the same website: Thundershirt | Calming Cap | KPCT
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Shock collar and e-collar are the same thing (to me at least). If you mean a bark collar vs. e-collar, based on your post the bark collar is not going to work for you. It will shock when she barks, period, because it's activated based on the dog barking. If you want to control it (sometimes allow it and sometimes not) then you need a different tool that will allow *you* to enforce a command.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.