NorthStar Dog Box - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NorthStar Dog Box

Hi,

I have been looking around for a dog box/kennel for my SUV. I am participating in Schutzhund, so the puppy will be spending time in the crate, which is in my SUV when others are out on the field. I want the puppy to be comfortable. Eventually as it gets bigger, I want him to grow into it. I found NorthStar and I like their products. I have decided on the below option for my puppy:

NorthStar Plastics & Manufacturing, LLC

What are your thought on the appropriate size for one? Currently its measures 24W x 32D x 28H. Please note, this is for a male German Shepherd adult weight est at 85 -90 based on parents.

Thanks,

Deanna
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would say a bit small. For about the same money I have an Owens 55033 welded aluminum box that is 38x24x30 and find it is fine for travel and training but a bit tight for overnight. I disagree with their argument that plastic is "cooler" than aluminum.

They look like nice boxes though and some of the two dog models may be a better choice because you could remove the divider when you got there and give the dogs some room.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you like the company I would ask about THIS box - it is in the K9 Unit page image 7 of 8 and ask for references from police departments. I would rather see piano hinge and a better latch. My box has three door latches; one slam and two thumb latches but newer Owens has one slam. Having a locking latch is also a great option. I will LOCK my dog up when I am meeting with the team for dinner after training or leaving him at a public location. I really think you need a minimum 36-38 inch long dimension for transport for a full grown male GSD. The height is not so critical.

That unit will allow you to put box fans on the opposite end and I can guarantee you I run fans ALL summer and it is cooler under a truck camper with windoors open than any SUV. Fellow dog people will have you if you leave your car running with the A/C on. [I have had some real words with some who have had diesel fumes pouring out of their truck and into mine!].

NorthStar Plastics & Manufacturing, LLC | Home

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 02-03-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for your opinion! Is this the one you are talking about? I didn't think about looking in the k-9 unit section. This seems a little bigger. I will contact the person I spoke with today to discuss the specs of this particular model. I agree with you. I want to make sure my dog is comfortable when I am not there. Also I like the extra vent on both ends for better air flow.

I was also contemplating the double dog box...depending on size and price, I go with one of them : )

Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

My box is 38 inches long x 24 wide and I wish it were a bit bigger. You don't want as big as a home crate but most aluminum working dog crates I see are 38 x 24.

You might want to check out some of these. A friend of mine got the folding crate and I am waiting for the review. It is a novel design but these are other comparisons for size for working dogs. Malinois and GSDs tpically.

Crates & Kennels: Police K9, Military K9 and Schutzhund Working Dog Equipment

Old 02-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

My friend gives it two thumbs up and she has a destroyer of wire crates - the lock is not integrated into the slam latch but takes a padlock.

If I did not have the two Owens boxes I would really consider. OTOH, the width inside the crate is only 22 inches. Height can be an issue in SUVs...Also depends on if you want to add a second crate.

X-Large Impact Collapsible Aluminum Dog Crate. $629.99. FREE Shipping US48

Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi Nancy,

I ended up choosing the crate you suggested from the K-9 section. I didn't see it the first time looking, but after you pointed it out, I really liked it. I was even able to raise the height to 28 inches, add the second door, and add the Aluminum around the edges for extra strength so my pup will be more comfortable, yet secure. I'm really excited for it to arrive, although its still 6-8 weeks out from being made! Dustin, the man I spoke with from North Star has been so helpful : )

Funny thing about my situation. I don't yet have an SUV. Currently I have a small FR-S, which is Scion's new sport car. I love it! For my lifestyle it just doesn't fit anymore. I need something more practical...so I'm selling it for a SUV! Of course I conducted this entire thing backwards : ) Once the crate arrives, I'll search for my SUV!

I really like the crate your friend decided upon...those are some heavy duty crates!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Always looking for input on new crates! That is one I had not seen before. So what was the size of that one? I think the cross ventilation will be excellent and you can see your dog while driving. Get some of the O2 cool or Ryobi cooling fans!

Good idea though. You can take the crate SUV shopping. Only trouble is you will turn around and be infected with a second dog before you know it.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4lilbitz View Post
Hi,

I have been looking around for a dog box/kennel for my SUV. I am participating in Schutzhund, so the puppy will be spending time in the crate, which is in my SUV when others are out on the field. I want the puppy to be comfortable. Eventually as it gets bigger, I want him to grow into it. I found NorthStar and I like their products. I have decided on the below option for my puppy:

Deanna
I bought a dog crate for my 2008 Ford Expedition (SUV) from Travall. To be fair it works out great for a small/middle sized dogs. 27'x27'x27'5 (crate size). So will most likely suite your dog for a first couple of years. Quality is probably the top one on the market as well. Can't be more happy about it.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Always looking for input on new crates! That is one I had not seen before. So what was the size of that one? I think the cross ventilation will be excellent and you can see your dog while driving. Get some of the O2 cool or Ryobi cooling fans!

Good idea though. You can take the crate SUV shopping. Only trouble is you will turn around and be infected with a second dog before you know it.
Just saw this! Sorry for the delay, I need to find out if there is a way to notify you on any replies to a thread : )

The original dimenions for the dog box I ordered had the height at 25 inches. When I called to update my order with the Aluminum trim and double ventilation, I had the inside increased to 28 inches. For the first couple of months until he's out of the puppy stage, this crate will be great for keeping him safe and out of trouble while at the club and traveling in general. I can't thank you enough for shoing me this one!

Once the puppy is older I want to get this barrier from Petco:

Precision Pet Vehicle Pet Barrier with Door at PETCO

It will allow for more room to move around, but I 'm not getting that UNTIL I get the SUV haha : )

michaelroll - Thanks for you suggestion. That's a pretty nice size crate! I went ahead with the model from Northstar : )

Thank you again for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.