Help with collars/leash? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with collars/leash?

I had a disaster today with my dog pulling too hard on the leash and getting away. We have an appointment with a new trainer but in the meantime I need to have better control of her. The problem is she is almost too strong for me, especially when she sees a cat or other dog.

I have used a prong collar for training but I need something she could wear constantly while outside. When we are just outside walking around our property (in the country) I just have her flat collar on with a drag leash on in case I need to grab her quick. Never had to use it until today when someone trespassed on our property with a small dog. My collar/drag leash combo did not work and I payed a price for it. Please offer me suggestions and I don't mind criticism of what I did wrong.

Thanks!
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you were on your own property, give yourself a break. You didn't do anything wrong.

Hire a trainer, though, so you know you have a solid recall. And most long lines don't have loops at the end, on purpose, so the dog doesn't get tangled. You need a line that has a loop on the end. Put your arm through it, and your dog can't escape without breaking your wrist. Which is not likely, btw

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Flat/nylon martingale. That way she has no chance of slipping out of it.

Your dog really shouldn't be able to pull you if you have a good grip on the leash and stand your ground. You can generate a lot of force to stop the dog with just your arms. It should always be a pop/release rather than a hold the dog back type of thing with the leash completely tight the whole time. So if this happens again, you have to try to give her a bit of leash, then pull back hard in order to "correct" her.

If for the time being you aren't comfortable...there isn't any harm in leaving a prong on while walking your property.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've never left her prong on cause I was afraid she could get tangled up with something and choke. Can I just leave it on with a drag leash?

What happened yesterday didn't break my wrist but it broke my finger and tore ligaments.

The lady was wrong by being on our property but it taught me I don't have the recall I thought I had on my dog. I thought she is good with the recall but obviously we have lots of work to do. I can get her to come off of moose, deer, rabbits, squirells but there is something about cats and other dogs that makes her loose her mind.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ouch, that sucks! Poor you. I would definitely not use a prong with a drag line! What I did was use a special toy that my puppy loves, and use this as a distraction against other interesting things. Neighbors, dogs, ect. I'm in the country too, so I have the same problem. Good work with the recall against the other animals, that's great progress!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's highly unlikely your dog will get wrapped up in something so quickly that it will get chocked by a prong before you can get there and free it. If you're that worried, make sure its a quick release. The most likely thing that can happen is that the dog can get a self correction if the lead gets caught on something, but its unlikely that it will be a very hard one unless you find yourself in a situation like the one you were in just now. I mean, even with a flat, you run the same risk of your dog getting caught on something and snapped back on a flat...

The biggest thing is control, and you have no control without the prong...it doesn't sound like you live around busy streets, but what would happen if your dog takes off after another dog accross a street and gets hit by a car? I'd rather know I can prevent that, and risk the fact that my dog might get a stiff auto correction if it sprints off and the lead gets caught on something.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't have a problem with using a prong collar as a training tool in general - I have one. I think it's a great tool to communicate an immediate "wrong" to the dog, with a nice quick pop. But if you let your dog run full steam ahead, and then yank that drag line...well, for one thing that's not a 'nice quick pop.' And what exactly have you just taught your dog? I don't think this is what the tool was intended for. Of course I could be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

While I use a head leash now I could also see a front clip harness with a drag leash working.

Hope a trainer helps...its sure helped us.
Montu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Don't jump on me for the suggestion but maybe an e collar if you can find a good trainer. We used one for proofing recall and she does great. I used to let mine drag a 30' leash for this, one time I grabbed it to stop her and lost all the skin on two fingers from nylon burn, another time it got around my ankle and I lost ankle skin and face planted. And with a 6' leash I couldn't get it fast enough

Edit, meant to add this was for areas where we usually let her run free and drag a leash. I still walk her on a leash normally and don't use e collar for that
Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for suggestions. I am going to put the prong on for walking on a leash in public places and just use the flat collar and drag at home. We usually do not have people/dog trespassing on our property. When we go hiking in the mountains she just runs free.

I just realized how strong (physically and personality) she is the other day when she almost took my finger/wrist with her to get to the other dog.

I called the trainer yesterday and we are meeting next week. Im not the wealthiest person in the world and I've had a hard time getting the $ for training but Im willing to sacrifice in other areas so I can get both me & my dog some help.

I don't know anything about e-collars but I did think about that the other day. I'll talk to the trainer about that. I was so discouraged the other day after our incident but hopefully the trainer can help!

PS. does anyone have problems with people thinking a prong is too harsh. I've had people pass by us and comment how awful that collar looks. They act like they are going to call PETA over a prong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.