Indoor/outdoor Kennel - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Indoor/outdoor Kennel

Hello! Looking for some suggestions or other input. We are currently building a house and I am starting to finish up my plans for the indoor/outdoor kennel in the garage. There will be a doggie door in the side door so the dogs can go in and out as they please.

Questions:
How should I do the indoor portion?
(Wood, chain link, pre fab kennel, etc)

How should I do the outdoor portion? (Wood, chain link, height, ground covering, etc)

Any other ideas or similar experience/pics would be great

Indoor portion will be approx 6'x18'
Outdoor portion will be approx 8'x30'

Thanks!!

Indoor/outdoor Kennel-imageuploadedbypg-free1390871737.264778.jpg
Indoor/outdoor Kennel-imageuploadedbypg-free1390871950.920889.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
chadmonger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Lucky dogs - that's huge! We have a chain link pen in the garage for the dogs, I think it's around 8 x 6. We have Kuranda beds for them. There's a dog door to an outdoor run that's along the side of the house, with a chain link gate at either end. There's a wood fence around our entire yard, (what people in other parts of the country call a "privacy fence", but we just call a fence. ), so that's down the other long side. The gates keep the dogs out of the main part of the yard, so they can't dig up the plants, and on the other end it separates them from the garbage and recycling bins. I think the run is about 5 ft wide.

We built the pen into a corner, so there are chain link panels on two sides, and walls on the other two sides. Here are some pics:

Dena outside

Keefer inside

Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Built in tub/showers for the dog in the garage/breezeway are a great idea!

Built-in Dog Shower Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor

dog-shower- use as boot wash instead | For My Pet's

mudroom dog bath | For My Pet's

Dog room | For My Pet's
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Looks awesome! Do the dogs go potty on the cement? I am debating on cementing the whole pad or just a portion and then pea gravel for the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Lucky dogs - that's huge! We have a chain link pen in the garage for the dogs, I think it's around 8 x 6. We have Kuranda beds for them. There's a dog door to an outdoor run that's along the side of the house, with a chain link gate at either end. There's a wood fence around our entire yard, (what people in other parts of the country call a "privacy fence", but we just call a fence. ), so that's down the other long side. The gates keep the dogs out of the main part of the yard, so they can't dig up the plants, and on the other end it separates them from the garbage and recycling bins. I think the run is about 5 ft wide.

We built the pen into a corner, so there are chain link panels on two sides, and walls on the other two sides. Here are some pics:

Dena outside

Keefer inside

Old 01-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmonger View Post
Looks awesome! Do the dogs go potty on the cement? I am debating on cementing the whole pad or just a portion and then pea gravel for the rest.
Yep, you can see the hose down at the far end, there's also a drain on the other side of the gate, we scoop up the poop and hubby hoses down the run every day.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like the cement as the ground cover so far. We have also use wooden decking before and gravel as well, but the cement was easier to clean. Gravel would be ok as long as the ground underneath couldn't be dug up. Bug again, the cement takes care of that issue too.
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would LOVE a built in dog bath. Also a grooming table / vacuum area

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think I will go with cement for the whole thing and then I will not have to worry about them digging or getting dirty. That way I will not have to bury the fence at all since they will not be able to dig under anyway. We have a wooded lot. Would you suggest chain link for the outside or a wood fence? 6 foot?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post

Keefer inside

Can you post another picture of the inside but further away? I am having difficulties envisioning how chain link works with the cement floors and not being able to set the posts? Especially how the gate works. Thanks!!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sure, let me go take some more pics. I can tell you how he did the connection on the floor though - he drilled holes in the concrete, and then secured strips of wood (with Tapcon concrete screws) to the floor, along the edges of the chain link panels, and then bolted the panels to the wood.

You can buy pre-made freestanding kennels, but this worked better for us since we wanted to build it into the corner with just two sides of chain link, allowing access to the dog door. Plus, it gave us more options on size. We have two gate panels on the front, and one larger panel plus one gate panel on the long side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.