Prong Collar Problem - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Prong Collar Problem

When I took Varik back to training, a trainer recommended a prong collar for him (he was pretty excited to see all the dogs/people and was doing some lunging/tugging while we were standing). I have no problem with a prong, HOWEVER, the stupid thing (or stupid me, I'm okay with either) pops off quite often. As in 2-3 times during the hour long class. Reconnecting it, you can see that it's going to immediately slide back out. I don't know what the problem is and have no experience with prongs as he's the first dog I've had to use one with! It was put on prob mid-neck by the trainer, and later the next week, I removed a link and moved it up higher, hoping the sprung link was the problem. However, it's doing it again and he seems very bothered by it being even up that high (2-3 inches below his ears). He tilts his head to the side, wants to scratch at it and seems unhappy with it (except when he's busy ignoring me to watch the other dogs).

Anyone have any insights? This is a collar that was purchased at the training club so I'm not sure of the brand.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Maybe try a different collar? That is what I would do. The two prong collars that I have are difficult to get on and off without a lot of squeezing. The links shouldn't be sliding around.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Herm Sprenger prong collars are the best. I have never had it come off my girl. I purchased a petsmart prong collar and was constantly coming apart. Also avoid quick release prong collar. good luck!
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

2 words... Herm Sprenger. They are the best. (just google the name)
GSKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

It is true. And they are much easier to put on. Don't bother with the quick release. Fitting the prongs in the metal plate is easy and I have never had that style pop off.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

The collar may be too big. A prong collar is not meant to hang loosely from the neck.
Here is an example:
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/images/p5.jpg

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

My guess is it's too big. I've had two prong collars come off dogs and both were Herm Sprenger collars (both properly fitted). I also have an HS with a quick release and I've never had the quick release fail, but it's kind of a pain and just makes putting the collar on even more complicated despite the "quick release" (almost impossible to do with gloves on). The pet store brand prong collars I have actually "pinch" tighter, it's harder to get them on/off so they don't pop apart.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
MyThe pet store brand prong collars I have actually "pinch" tighter, it's harder to get them on/off so they don't pop apart.

Brittle metal with no spring in it doesn't stop the collars coming apart, the big wire loops at the side are the weak point and where these cheap collars pop open on a very regular basis. The brittle metal causes them to just snap too, your 'pet store' brand collars are not worth a recommendation, that's what the OP has and that's what he's having a problem with.

Do you check and maintain your HS collars?

If the links seem a little loose, just unclip it, put your thumbs between the prongs and pull them apart a little more, that's all there is to it.

It amazes me how few people properly maintain their equipment and can't understand why it's going wrong. I've never had a collar come apart, ever. I've had loose links, and sorted them out, problem solved before there was ever a problem.
LuvMyDog_Worldwide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had read that it might be due to its being too loose so I removed a link and it's a bit of a squeeze (literally) putting it on, even though I put it higher on his neck than it was previously. However, it does seem to bother him a lot more as I mentioned in my OP. It's not even directly behind his ears and still seems to realllly bother him.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Look at the ends of the prongs, chances are they're flat and have been chisel cut with burs on the edges...... that tends to be more bothering than how high up the collar is.

However, same as previous posters have mentioned, buy a decent collar. It won't fall apart and you won't have to size it so tight to try and keep it together. There are plenty of online stores in the USA selling Sprenger at reasonable prices. It's an investment in your dogs safety and well being.
LuvMyDog_Worldwide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.